Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Transmission questions

So I work at a dealership and the transmission tech is willing to help me do a rebuild on an e4od. I'll be pulling a junkyard trans and doing a rebuild so I can just throw my truck on a lift and swap it out (third swap on my own BTW). So basically I want to do a complete overhaul so I have a "new" transmission that will go another 100000 miles. So far my parts list includes: JY trans, rebuild kit including steels, and front pump seal. My worry is I've read up on a bushing kit that is $20 so I figured if I'm doing this rebuild I might as well do bushings. I know that to make sure the pump works, it needs to be pressure tested, which is not possible without it being in the truck. So I'm skeptical on whether or not I should just replace the pump but I'm not sure what kind of price to look for. I'm trying to basically go with the cheapest way of having a decent transmission and where I am, a good reman runs about $900 which is ridiculous when a brand new OEM is $1200. As far as parts go now, I'm looking at $350 without the bushing kit or front pump. Labor is not an issue nor am I paying for it. Anyway, what do you guys that know about transmission rebuilds think?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

What year is your E4OD and the E4OD that you're looking to rebuild? That will go a long ways towards what you need to replace.

Quick Reply: Transmission questions