Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

transmission problems

Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
zinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

i was driving my 96 f-150 with a e40d transmission when i stopped at a red light and at about 5mph it shifted really violently into 1st.
then on my way home i was babying it cuz i had paint in the back and usually if i run it hard or stomp on it shift hard into 2nd but today i wuz drivin it easy and at around 2500 rpms it shifted extremely violent it made my seat belt tighten up. probably 4 hrs later i tried backing it out and shifted violently into reverse and i let off the brake and it stood still then lightly hit the throttle and at a round 1400 rpms as i was letting off it hooked up
what do you guys think is wrong? do i need a transmisson?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 PM

Sound like it is not going to be pretty. I would pull and inspect the filter, see how much junk is on it. It's only about $15 for a new filter and gasket + new oil. Not good when R wont catch. Kind of a catch 22, if the filter is cloged replacment may help, but anything on the filter is parts of the trans that have come apart. Please post if the fluid is brown or has a smell. Take a white paper towel and wipe your dip stick next to a spot of new fluid. I think AAMCO wanted about 1700 to replace my E4OD, 500 to 900 used, Jasper wanted about 1800 just for the trans.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:54 PM
zinn

ya i believe its the torque converter but ya im having rebuilt for like 1200
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM

Thats a good price on a rebuilt E4OD, if you are going to install yourself make sure to clean out the cooler lines really well. Ive seen new trans get killed by the junk left over from the dead one.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:12 PM
zinn

no im not doin it myself maybe if it was a manual but im not screwin with a automatic transmission
Old 08-02-2008, 11:45 PM

Can't blame you for that, the E4 is a big boy.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:54 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This kind of violent engagement is typical of a worn clutch pack. In other words it is overhaul time. As I have said before do not take it to AAMCO or any of these national rebuild chains you will get screwed. Ask around in your area who does the best job, your local parts store, the one that has be around since the stone age is a good place to ask who they would recommend. If it turns out to be the Ford dealer so be it. When I had Cadillacs I had a couple that needed transmission work, It turned out the GM dealer in Kimball, Nebraska was the best. The mechanic that did the overhaul on the '67 had been their transmission mechanic for 30 years, one nice thing about having a mechanic with such vast experience s they know the mod's that will improve the life of the transmission. The man at the Kimball Garage who overhauled the TH-400 in the '67 rebuilt it not as a Cadillac transmission but as it would have been built if it had been installed in a GM, or GMC 3/4 ton truck. Instead of slow soft shifts they are tight and crisp which make for much longer clutch life.
I have read up on the E4OD and there are some simple things you can do to really improve how the thing works, all of which do not add much to the cost of a rebuild.

Last edited by transmaster; 08-03-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:00 PM
zinn

ya i went to a local place thats been around for like 25 or 30 years and from what ive heard they do good work so i guess all i can do now is wait and see

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission problems