Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Transmission flush or fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission flush or fluid change?

I have a 1992 Ford F150 XLT that apparently needs to have the transmission fluid looked at. I have no idea whether I should get the fluid and filter replaced, or if I should get the whole thing flushed! I've heard some bad things about flushing the transmission, and I'm nervous about getting it done and having problems. And if I get the fluid changed, will synthetic oil make a difference for the transmission? Thanks for reading or even replying!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

flush it and add Lucas red tranny additive AFTER a filter change
Old 02-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the reply, and what does that additive do exactly ?
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiefer
Thanks for the reply, and what does that additive do exactly ?
Costs money just drop the pan change the fluid and filter make any intrnal adjustments and check to see how much debris is in the pan this will tell you how much wear and general condition of the trans. Then refill with the recomended fluid be carefull no to over fill. IF the oil smells burnt or there is excessive friction material or metal in the pan time to shop for trans
Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Okay, I'll definitely do that then. That was pretty helpful, and thanks for the reply. Would synthetic oil make a difference ?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Go ahead and change the trans fluid. Valvoline Maxlife worked great in my transmission. It is synthetic, but not advertised as such. As far as the transmission going bad after you change it, it's just a rumor. Some transmissions "don't like" a certain brand of fluid. I've changed old burnt fluid a thousand times and have never had a problem. Ever. Only thing I recommend is not using a garbage brand of fluid. My truck does not like cheap off brand fluid, hence the reason why I started using Maxlife.

And what I mean by "does not like cheap off brand fluid" is that you would have thought I would have needed a new transmission. After changing to Maxlife, it shifted so smoothly to the point I thought the truck was going to knock off or something. It was night and day.

Any good brand fluid should work.

Quick Reply: Transmission flush or fluid change?