Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Transmission Cable adjustment

Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Cable adjustment

Fellow Truckers! I went to the emissions station a few days ago, and they had me back the 1996 F150 5.0 4x4 out of the bay. Apparently the shift indicator for the EAOD had travelled completely to the right, and didn't show any shifting indication at all. So, I replaced the shifter cable, place the indicator in Park, and adjusted the indicator cable as needed. However, there is some overlap. When I shift (column) from say "P" to "R", I have to move the indicator to "N" or even "D", then tap the shift lever to have the indicator pointer match the gear it's actually in. I've adjusted the indicator several times, and I either can't get "2" or "1", or "P" or "R".
When I adjust the cable wheel to align with "1" and "2", then want to place the indicator in "P", I have to go way past "P" to find park. Someone told me it might be off because the transmission cable needs to be adjusted. How's that done?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
Fellow Truckers! I went to the emissions station a few days ago, and they had me back the 1996 F150 5.0 4x4 out of the bay. Apparently the shift indicator for the EAOD had travelled completely to the right, and didn't show any shifting indication at all. So, I replaced the shifter cable, place the indicator in Park, and adjusted the indicator cable as needed. However, there is some overlap. When I shift (column) from say "P" to "R", I have to move the indicator to "N" or even "D", then tap the shift lever to have the indicator pointer match the gear it's actually in. I've adjusted the indicator several times, and I either can't get "2" or "1", or "P" or "R".
When I adjust the cable wheel to align with "1" and "2", then want to place the indicator in "P", I have to go way past "P" to find park. Someone told me it might be off because the transmission cable needs to be adjusted. How's that done?
Try adjusting to "N". Hard to believe there's not a cable throw adjustment on one of the ends.

Last edited by ymeski56; 03-16-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Cable adjustment