Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny?

Hi I just bought a 94 Extended Cab 4x4 with a 302 5.0 EFI with 140k miles Automatic tranny but I dunno what type and I am having trouble already....When putting it into reverse it shifts real hard into gear and it also does this when just driving. but not as bad just kind of jerks doesn't really seem like skipping more just like catching really hard? Any Ideas.

Also the truck stalled on me too when I turned all they way and was backing up after i had stopped? I dunno about his either.
Any help would be appricated.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 PM

when you put it in to gear it goes clunk. in my truck it does that. hard to expain but ill try. when you put in in gear the tran. tightes up the drive shaft and it wipes it really hard. if you go from drive to reverse drive to reverse does it get worse (harder clunks). that is what it is doing in my truck. just don't have the brake on. it works in my truck. then with the stalling mine did that to. don't have a clue but when i very litely tap the gas it almost stalls out when im in reverse. but only very litely put on the gas. so litely it only moves like 2 millimeters top. hope i helped
Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by noobsauce
when you put it in to gear it goes clunk. in my truck it does that. hard to expain but ill try. when you put in in gear the tran. tightes up the drive shaft and it wipes it really hard. if you go from drive to reverse drive to reverse does it get worse (harder clunks). that is what it is doing in my truck. just don't have the brake on. it works in my truck. then with the stalling mine did that to. don't have a clue but when i very litely tap the gas it almost stalls out when im in reverse. but only very litely put on the gas. so litely it only moves like 2 millimeters top. hope i helped
The only problem with this is that it does it driving too.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

IIRC, the quick-n-easy way is that if your shifter is PRN(D)DL - then likely have the AOD. If the OD disengage PB is on the end of the tranny shift level, then likely have the E4OD.

What's your tranny fluid look like - may be an indication of the shape the tranny is in. At this point, IMO, doesn't sound real good.

Also, is your driveline in good shape - any excessive UJoint or axle gear free play?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM

I prob have the E4OD then. I'll let you know about the fluid and driveline tommorrow.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 PM

It does it worse when its warmed up
Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The AOD changed to the aww damn I cant remember.. The tranny that you can do the J mod to. Well it also has a push button on the shifter and looks like the AOD.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
When in doubt, floor it

i have a 95 150 4x4...i had it where youd hit the gas n she would rev up real high then drop in...but it seemed like the more miles i got on over the like 5 months it quit
Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 PM

As far as which tranny, look at the trans pan. The AOD and 4R70W have a almost square pan with the back corners tapered a little. The E4OD will have a narrower section in the back. A E4OD case also has many strengthening ribs while the 4R70W is mostly smooth.

If the engine is dying when put into gear, it is more likely the engine need a tune up than trans. With the truck stopped the trans is not moving internally. The only thing I can think of tranny related is if lock up is dragging on, but you should see lower idle speed.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the reply, i'm getting it checked out at ammco transmission today and seeing whats up there doing this free deal where they check out for free doing road test and everything. So hopefully then can pinpoint the problem and i'll let you guys know.

Quick Reply: Tranny?