Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Tough ignition/turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tough ignition/turn signal

Okay,

Probably a simple answer. But I have an ignition switch that is hard to turn. Should I replace the whole switch or is there a certain part of the switch I can replace? Also, My turn signal switch won't stay down so you have to hold it down when turning. Should I just buy a new switch for that too or is it just the canceling cam? And my gas tanks are both odd. Front one you have to turn the pump to gas up or else it spews out. And the rear will overflow when you start driving after filling up. Why is this? For all three.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 AM

I would replace the ignition switch or take it apart to take the key tumblers out. I think those ignition cylinders are pretty expensive. I had to do this to my sunfire because the ignition key actually got stuck in the run position and I couldnt turn it off! I t was hard to turn for bout 3 months prior to that. I can start the sunfire without a key now but no one else knows that so I dont worry bout theft. But the new cylinder cost round 280 bucks!! Blinkers? Well, You can replace the whole handle piece for a fair price. Gonna have to do mine pretty soon cuz my blinkers are geting goofy also... Tanks being goofy? well, we dont know the year of your truck!!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM

It's a 1990 F-150. So it's the handle/stick that's bad and not the turn signal switch or cancelling cam? I'm not too sure how it works so please excuse my ingnorance.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

On your turn signals you need to replace the turn signal cam. On your switch is it hard to turn from the off to on position or the on to start position? If it from off to on the key cylinder is probably at fault try putting some powder graphite in it. If its from on to start it may be the ignition switch but I would try the graphite or any kind of lubricant first

Last edited by Nitehawkjr; 11-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a tilt column? Try the ignition switch with the column straight. They don't always work well with it tilted up or down. And definitely try some graphite in the cylinder before buying a new one. It's an easy swap, and the F150 locks are about $60, but no sense spending money unless you need to.

I'm not sure about your front tank filling issue, but I'll bet you're gonna need to replace the rear fuel pump if you want the rear tank to stop overfilling.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like you may have a venting problem with your front tank there is a check valve on top that lets the air out when you gas up or keeps excess pressure from building up. The back tank overfilling is a bad check valve in the pump also on my 92 there is a check on the fuel line too this is a fix from Ford.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nitehawkjr
Sounds like you may have a venting problem with your front tank there is a check valve on top that lets the air out when you gas up or keeps excess pressure from building up. The back tank overfilling is a bad check valve in the pump also on my 92 there is a check on the fuel line too this is a fix from Ford.
Okay, I'll get the canceling cam for the signals. The ignition is hard to turn on and especially to start. Easy to turn all the way off but not as easy as it should be. I'll try a lubricant first and let you know what happens. And for the gas tanks should i replace front check valve and rear fuel pump? or is there a way i can just replace the valve on the pump? Where could I find these parts?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM

You should be able to get any of these parts at your local auto parts store, or online from http://www.rockauto.com

The vent valve for the front tank is simple enough, but on the rear one you will need the entire fuel pump assembly (might as well get the sending unit while you're at it).
Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 PM

Is it the fuel pressure regulator for the front tank? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-igpphZ8vd1h And is this the style pump I should get for the rear? It comes with the sending unit and all. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...453_4025_13640 Of course I'm going to get under the truck and check everything first, but it's always good to have a second opinion especially from someone who knows more of what they're talking about.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM

No - the fuel pressure regulator is mounted on the fuel rail just ahead of your injectors. The vent for your front tank is right on top of the tank with a rubber hose coming out of it.

As long as the year/model/engine all match up in your search, the fuel pump assembly is probably correct - could be differences according to tank size too. They'll make sure you get the right one at the store.

Quick Reply: Tough ignition/turn signal