Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Timing/firing order?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing/firing order?

I have an 88 f150 with a 351 W and I just got done doing some work on my engine. I put everything back together and got it to run but it was running pretty rough. It sat for a night and i went out to start it and it wouldnt stay idleing. I looked and one of the spark plugs wires had come off which is why it was running rough the day before. I plugged this in and i could get it to start up by tapping the gas but then it would die out. Its not the iacv because i just changed that. I tried adjusting the timing by turning the distributor but that didn't help. By adjusting the idle screw(an addition by previous owner) i was able to get it to move by having the idle up real high but it would idle really rough and make bad sounds. Thinking it was an timing problem i got a timing light and by putting on what i had wired it as the number one cylinder (front passenger) the mark was at least 45-50 degrees off. My friend said it should be measured off of the driver side front. When we hooked the timing light to that the mark was 180 off from where it should. I tried rewiring it to 180 off or 45 off on the cap and it wouldnt start at all. When i tried adjusting the timing i took out the spout connector. What i was wondering is what the firing order really is and what cylinder is #1 and if you have any ideas what might actually be the problem that would really help.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:13 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Number 1 cylinder is passenger side front. Passenger side front to rear is 1-2-3-4. Driver side front to rear 5-6-7-8. Firing order for 351W is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Distributor rotates counterclockwise.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As Sean said #1 is passenger front. Firing order should be molded into the intake manifold. Verify timings marks by removing #1 plug. Rotate engine manually with a socket attached to crank nut. Rotate crankshaft untill #1 is at top dead center (TDC). Use a long thin screwdriver touching top of piston thru the spark plug hole. Turn engine slowly untill screwdriver shows you piston is at top. Now look and timing marks. Should be at 0 degrees. Remember this is only to verify the timing mark on the balancer. It has nothing to do with ignition timing. The engine not responding to throttle movement sounds like the TPS (throttle position sensor).
Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i had the firing order right then. It responds to the throttle it just wont stay idling. The timing marks on the balancer doesnt show any degrees either it just had a braket that comes off the block that has a metal circle on the far side then it angles toward the block to a semi circle then angles back away from the block into a triangle and i have no idea what means what. This bracket is on the passenger side straight down from the belt tensioner and when i had the #1 at top dead center the timing mark wasn't near there.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The part with the circle in it is for a scope hook up. The triangular item is the pointer. Lay down on the ground and look at the balancer. Keep turning the crank untill the marks are visible. Now with chalk or touch up paint high light the line corresponding to the engines timing degrees. 10 degrees as an example. Your marked line should be at the pointer firing cyls 1 and 6. Thats if the order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. If the firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. OOPS, I guess its still 1 and 6. Thats enough engine theory. If the spark is not on the mark or close to it, this engine might have jumped time. Verify the marks and get back to us. We will talk you through the next step if necessary.

Quick Reply: Timing/firing order?