Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Timing Advance Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Advance Question

Ok, so I've been reading alot about this and several of you guys suggest that this is the best way to increase power. I recently tuned up the 302 in my 93' XLT so I am looking at getting an MSD TFI Coil for about $50 and then regapping the plugs. It says it's 44,000 volts. Is that enough for this mod? Anybody know what the stock coil is?

2nd question........I was looking on MSD's website and eyeing their Ignition Control. It looks like for another $150 you can get a timing control where it says you can advance up to 15 degrees from a dash mounted timing control. I realize this would be about $400 for both, but just wondering if you guys thought it would be worth it?
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...g_Control.aspx

Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought about getting one to give it more timing and so I could back it off when loaded...but it isnt needed....
Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MSD makes a "street fire" coil and a "blaster" coil. The blaster is the stronger one, and the one I'd recommend. The street fire is for the most-part a better than stock replacement. I went with the blaster, I got it for like 45 dollars and it is still the same size as the stock coil, I forget the voltage on it, but it works well.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM

The blaster is the one I was looking at.

http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=5065

I was just wondering though, it's 44,000 volts, how much is the stock coil? I'd just like to know for peace of mind that I'm buying something with a lot more juice than stock, but have no idea what stock is.

Does anyone?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to change the timing if you're towing?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm not sure what the stock coil voltage is, but I did the timing bump and I'm at 16 degrees advanced and my truck runs good. The blaster coil gives enough power to gap the plugs out. I want to say the stock coil is like 30k volts, I think I read that somewhere, but dont quote me on that.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGreyBox
I'm not sure what the stock coil voltage is, but I did the timing bump and I'm at 16 degrees advanced and my truck runs good. The blaster coil gives enough power to gap the plugs out. I want to say the stock coil is like 30k volts, I think I read that somewhere, but don't quote me on that.
I'm thinkin 20-25 K (new, they don't stay that Voltage). Also no quote please. Dialing the timing back from the cab sounds neat, but unnecessary. Personally , that's why i run stock coppers. Harder to get them to ping threshold in the first place. also, it's a lot harder to drop back down below that temp. once you've got there, especially w/ Plats. Plug & combustion chamber temp is the only reason you would need to retard in the first place. I sometimes go 700 miles, w/ a load, @ 80mph w/o stopping (both tanks), running 16 BTDC. Everything having to do w/ your engine, has to do w/ remaining within certain "ranges". Tolerances, pressures, voltage, temperatures, ect.... If you can do that. Buckwheat say," Ebbythang be o'ta banky!" So I run a plug that doesn't self clean (using self induced hi temps) & go 100K between changes. I'm tradeing that for a more forgiving range, which could come in handy at 16BTDC! This is not to say it can't be done w/ plats! If you want to run a x2 plat at further advance at stock gap, Motorcraft or AC/delco x2 Plat Finewires. for x2 Plat stretching , Motorcraft. For sidegap, Motorcraft stock coppers.

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-01-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Ok, well that makes sense to me. Basically one theoretically may want to bring it down so it doesn't get too hot in the chamber after a lot of revving for an extended period, but with Copper plugs, the plugs will fail before it would do any damage to the motor? Is that about right? I already put Coppers in mine when I tuned it, I think Accel or AC Delco but I can't remember. But either way, Copper and .054, and the MSD Blaster would suffice with 15 degrees, correct?

Did you notice any MPG improvements for those of you that have done this? That certainly would be nice today's gas prices.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Joepbj
Ok, well that makes sense to me. Basically one theoretically may want to bring it down so it doesn't get too hot in the chamber after a lot of revving for an extended period, but with Copper plugs, the plugs will fail before it would do any damage to the motor? Is that about right? I already put Coppers in mine when I tuned it, I think Accel or AC Delco but I can't remember. But either way, Copper and .054, and the MSD Blaster would suffice with 15 degrees, correct?

Did you notice any MPG improvements for those of you that have done this? That certainly would be nice today's gas prices.
Revving is not that big of a deal. It's pulling a load up a hill that will get you. Or haulin *** for an extended period of time. when I bought my truck and drove it down from Oregon (87' 302), I got 11mpg @65mph (and it didn't like 65). the Stock Ignition system was long past needing attention. Original Coil, wires, cap & rotor thrashed. After the Ignition system upgrade & some other "basic" maintenance, I get 23 mpg @65mph. 18-19mpg at 80mph. Lots better acceleration. This is the only Mod I know of that gives you more performance & better MPG, at the same time! In my opinion, "yes", to all your questions.

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-01-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:24 PM

I got a few mpg's better too. I just replaced my o2 sensor, cleaned my iac, and added oil to my near empty rear diff...oops. So I'm hoping I'll hit 18 on this tank, almost all city driving. But we'll see.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by BigGreyBox
I got a few mpg's better too. I just replaced my o2 sensor, cleaned my iac, and added oil to my near empty rear diff...oops. So I'm hoping I'll hit 18 on this tank, almost all city driving. But we'll see.
That's all under basic maintainance. Remove & clean the EGR & it's mount portways too. I replace my 02 sensor every 35k also. I think it's paid for itself in superior switching speed & accuracy by then, which equals extra MPG's! I'm a All Synthetic proponent, but perfer not to bring that dog to a MPG fight. But, I do think it helps. I will however argue engine longevity all day long, including lower operating temps. 18-20 degrees for my transmission w/ Synthetic.

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-01-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing Advance Question