Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Things to look for on my 93 XLT V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to look for on my 93 XLT V8

Back in the mid summer I got me a '93 XLT V8(5L). It has 187K in it and has never been wrecked. I purchased it from the 1st owner. He bought brand new in Nov of 1993. It has no rust and two small dents on the bed that you would only notice if i pointed them out. Great truck it starts up ever time the first time. He kept in a car port for most of its life. I keep in in a garage.

I already made me a list of things it needs done. Those include body bushings, front suspension parts and so on. fix the oil leak coming from around the pil pan. What I am looking for today is anything that I need to keep in mind and look for that could be an issue down the road on this truck.
Black Bart
Old 10-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ICM will be an issue. What transmission? If it's got the E4OD, it'll need at least a fluid change and probably an accumulator valve body eventually if not a total rebuild. Water pump to timing cover gasket might start leaking soon. Those are the first things I did with my 93 5L E4OD truck. I wouldn't mess with any of these though until it becomes an issue. Truck will probably develope a torque converter shudder (if its an E4OD) which will indicate it's time for a trans fluid change.

This is just my experience with my truck within the last year. I just hit 200k miles. Not saying any of this will definitely be an issue with your truck, but I'd say it's fairly likely. None of this is major work, except for a trans rebuild.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:07 PM

The water pump and radiator have been changed once. How do I know which transmission? I am not sure when the transmission had a fluid change.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the door jam sticker. If your truck is automatic, it should have either the AOD or E4OD. At the bottom of the sticker, there is a TR with a letter underneath. If it's an E, it's an E4OD. I think an AOD will have a T instead of E. Also, I believe the AOD trucks don't have the Overdrive cancel button on the shifter.

I don't claim to be an expert so some of this information may not be completely accurate.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Other than the basic tune up stuff like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fluid changes and filter changes, I would replace the PCV valve and the plastic vacuum lines.

Nice looking truck!
Old 10-22-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Take a real good look at all your steel brake lines.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dual fuel tank selector valve if it hasnt already been changed
Old 10-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by jayber
dual fuel tank selector valve if it hasnt already been changed
Is that located back under the bed? When I switch to the rear tank..I get nothing so I was thinking I had a bad fuel pump
Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Take a real good look at all your steel brake lines.
I will next time I am under the truck. It very clean under the truck. It has never seen an amount of salt. It is a southern truck that has been kept in a car port or a garage for most of its life
Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Other than the basic tune up stuff like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fluid changes and filter changes, I would replace the PCV valve and the plastic vacuum lines.

Nice looking truck!
Thanks

I am trying to replace everything that is rubber or plastic