Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Is there a step-by-step DIY for replacing heater core (1988 F150) ? I searched..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a step-by-step DIY for replacing heater core (1988 F150) ? I searched..

Hey all,

Need to replace my heater core within the next few weeks, and don't want to bring it to a shop. Are there any articles online or a step-by-step teardown tutorial for an '88 F150 with AC? I searched but didn't find anything specific to my generation, so I just want to be sure.

Also, where would be the best place to source a replacement (decent price with reasonably fast shipping, from your experience) ?

Thanks as always!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Look on ebay, and it might sound strange but go to the Autozone website they have a tech lookup section, you will have to create a logon, I found wiring diagrams for my truck, it was helpful.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Mother Trucker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can tell ya how right here in a few steps, I've had that apart on my truck and my sis's...its easy. Drain your coolent, remove the two heater hoses going to the pass side top of the air unit. Next go into the cab and take out the glove box...theres a little lip on the right side you will have to hold in while you pull down on the box, then on the left side there is a small plastic cord with a pin that you will have to take loose. Then let the box fall almost all the way down and you will be able to take it completely off. Next you will see the back side of the air unit, theres about 8 to 10 screws you will have to take out right in front of you, the cover doesnt look like it will fit out the glove box hole but it does, just do some wiggling. Theres your heater core, as long as your hoses are removed under the hood the core should come right out. Pretty painless, sounds worse than it is. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Mother Trucker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh and as for a replacement...I'd just go to your closest parts store, their nothing special and as far as I know they dont cost to much for these good ol trucks.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did this on my old 94 ranger and it was same scenario, think the core ran me $12.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

www.alldatadiy.com i bought it for 3 years gives a 7 step procces but its simple remove glove box remove 7 screems undo heater houses then pull out core and revers process 5 mins took me 10 cause i was eating a samwedge in the other hand ?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

local auto part store is your best bet before geting it i would take it out and match it up
Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 AM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Recommend to inspect the new heater core. Over the years, I've replaced mine a couple of times - opted for the bargain-priced core once but it just didn't seem to put out the heat like the original, which affected not only the heat volume at the feets, but the defrost just didn't seem to be getting with it, either.

On closer inspection - held the core up to the light and looked through the fins. Found that about 1/3 of the core was non-functional - guess it was a way to shave some bucks off the manufacturing costs.

Sprung for the more-expensive core, and all was right with the world again. Not saying all bargain cores are like this, but suggest it's worth a look before you go to install one.

+1 with what the others have said previously, the replacement is really easy - Ford really got this one right for the D-I-Y'ers. You'll spend more time rounding up and putting away the tools than you will spend actually changing the core out.

If you're an online kinda shopper - I've had good experience thus far with RockAuto.com, just watch out for the impact of shipping charges on the total price. The local parts store would be a good source also.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, just took the tools out to the truck, popped off the glovebox and removed the cover, there she was! I already have the core bypassed, so it should be a piece of cake swapping it out.

Thanks everyone for your help!! I had to do the core on my '95 Jetta and the whole dash had to come out / column removed / etc, so I'm glad to hear this is nowhere near that nightmare.

Quick Reply: Is there a step-by-step DIY for replacing heater core (1988 F150) ? I searched..