Temp Sensor - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Temp Sensor

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #1
Senior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
burnthelight88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 404
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default Temp Sensor

I have a 1992 F-150 4.9L and my temp gauge doesn't work. I was examining the thermostat area anticipating replacing the therm due to an unrelated issue, and there is a 2 wire harness with a threaded in sensor that plugs in near the thermostat housing. I was wondering if this was the temp sensor? Anyone that knows anything about it, I'd appreciate the help.

If I need to replace the sensor, can you order them separately?
burnthelight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 33,667
Thanked 896 Times in 507 Posts
Default

The ECT 'sensor" inputs to the ECU. The coolant temp "sender" controls the temp gauge. Two different animals. I think the sender is 2 wire, the sensor is 3 wire.
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Hi-Rev Motorsports
5 Year Member
 
dr_bowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
Default

nope....

the 2-wire sensor is the one by the T-Stat housing....the 1 wire sender unit is located on the passenger side just under teh exhaust manifold...at the rear of the block/head...straight up from the starter...

a light and jacking up the truck helps as I had to do 1 arm over the starter and the other around the frame to get both hands up there...
dr_bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 33,667
Thanked 896 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bowtie View Post
nope....

the 2-wire sensor is the one by the T-Stat housing....the 1 wire sender unit is located on the passenger side just under teh exhaust manifold...at the rear of the block/head...straight up from the starter...

a light and jacking up the truck helps as I had to do 1 arm over the starter and the other around the frame to get both hands up there...
1,2,3.......Picky,picky,picky! Now I got to walk out to my truck, in the rain, 52 degrees, in my sock, on my birthday. I could put some shoes on, but I would loose most of the dramatic effect! Nope, not liking the odds. dr bowtie is usually correct the the point of monotony.

Last edited by ymeski56; 12-11-2009 at 01:34 PM.
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
 
burnthelight88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 404
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Ok, thanks for the help so far. So we've agreed that the sender is what would make my temp gauge not work (aside from the possibility that the gauge itself is bad) and that the sender is a 1 wire module straight up from the starter on the passenger side. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

So where do I get a replacement? It doesn't seem like a very common part
burnthelight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 33,667
Thanked 896 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthelight88 View Post
Ok, thanks for the help so far. So we've agreed that the sender is what would make my temp gauge not work (aside from the possibility that the gauge itself is bad) and that the sender is a 1 wire module straight up from the starter on the passenger side. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

So where do I get a replacement? It doesn't seem like a very common part
Yep. Both are very common. Any parts store. If you ground the wire connector, the gauge should register pretty much full tilt.
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Hi-Rev Motorsports
5 Year Member
 
dr_bowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymeski56 View Post
Yep. Both are very common. Any parts store. If you ground the wire connector, the gauge should register pretty much full tilt.
Rock on...you're right too...this time..
dr_bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 33,667
Thanked 896 Times in 507 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bowtie View Post
Rock on...you're right too...this time..
Even "Murphy's Law", is subject to "Murphy's Law"!
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 5.4 exhaust ALT5 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 1 09-21-2015 01:01 AM
Idle issues with a 95 5.8 foreverford72 1987 - 1996 F150 3 09-17-2015 08:30 AM
Transmission temp gauge e4od notsosporty98 1987 - 1996 F150 1 09-08-2015 05:22 PM
ewb needs 911 help doctruptwn Maintenance Shop 4 09-08-2015 11:29 AM
Outdoor Temp Display on Platinum waterboyjlw 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 5 09-04-2015 01:27 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com