Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Temp Gauge Waivers

Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Semper Fi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Temp Gauge Waivers

Hey all,
So I have been having an issue with my temp gauge while driving. I have a 1994 4.9l M5OD. Engine is basically stock. So here is the issue. While driving I have noticed my temp gauge significantly varies in temps. One second it will be sitting right at the N of NORMAL which is where it usually sits at running temp. The next second it jumps to the R or M of NORMAL and stays there for a little bit before jumping right back down to the N. It jumps from position to position fast (does not gradually increase.) And it changes randomly, not in any discernible pattern. I just replaced my water pump, idler pulley, and serpentine belt for regular maintenance. After this work the gauge reads lower than it used to, which I chalk up to a better running engine but the problem has been going on since before the new work. I did a forum search and came up empty handed. If anybody knows of a thread about this issue please post the link. Is this a normal issue for our trucks? Is it something that has to be addressed or can I just leave it alone? It doesn't bug me, I just want to make sure this issue won't cause damage or result in other engine issues. Any thoughts about why this is happening would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

flush and fill with some new fluid, get a radiator flush too. napa sells it. but at least flush it out with a hose and water. THEN put in a new thermostat. if still does it then its time to replace the sensor. and if that doesn't work it is time to replace the fan clutch.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Semper Fi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks fordtrucknut. I appreciate the help. Will it affect the engine if I don't address the issue right away? It's my dd, but going to college makes it hard to find time/resources to do the job.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

should be ok, as long as it stays away from the hot side of the gauge.

you might want to at least check the fluid level . if it is low that could make the temp gauge jump too. but normally it will sit on the high side then dip to the middle.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

my f150 has been doing that for over a year, flushed the system, no change. i just left it alone since it never came close to overheating even when i was pushing the truck as hard as it would go. iv been told its just the sensor though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temp Gauge Waivers