Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Tailgate will not open.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate will not open.

All of a sudden the tailgate will not open! What causes this? Is there a special bit to get those screws off to get to the latch mechanism? I there any secret to getting it open if the handle is not opening it, this side of using a Blow Torch?

This really is inconvenient. Working on my basement and had to lift 12 ft. sheetrock over it.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM

What year?? Is it the new locking tailgate? Is it jammed up, in other words, does latch "unlatch" or not?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

For the older model years, the screws are Torx - need special bits, available at most any parts store.

One problem is that the rods which connect the latch in the center to the catches at the side will come loose. You might be able to pull up on the latch and to feel up around to see if anything is loose or is rattling around.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 AM
My girlfriend is white.

Originally Posted by lucky13
ok thats kool but your on a FORD forum if you wanna be treated nicely man then id stop the chevy jokes all the time
You are right... I'm trying to really get into the Ford groove around here. I'll try harder.

By the way your truck looks nice!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 AM
lucky13

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks man
sorry if i come off like an *** but im kinda touchy about chevy jokes
hear em all the time
Old 07-31-2008, 01:04 AM
My girlfriend is white.

Originally Posted by lucky13
thanks man
sorry if i come off like an *** but im kinda touchy about chevy jokes
hear em all the time
It's all good.... it's just sheet metal and iron anyways.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 AM

Default What year?

Originally Posted by wfin2004
What year?? Is it the new locking tailgate? Is it jammed up, in other words, does latch "unlatch" or not?
It is an 87. I thought i was in the right year thread? The latch will pull up but it does not release the gate.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM

Thumbs down It is an 87.

Originally Posted by CaptainWaifers
If yours is the newer truck body and you look real close at the tail gate.... see were it says FORD? It should have an oval around it. That's your problem right there!! At least Ford was smart enough to circle the problem for you.

If you had bought a Chevy you wouldn't be having this kind of trouble.
First of all do not own this truck. It is one of my relatives and while borrowing it, this happened. Second of all I don't give a rats **** about your views on what brand is better. That was not my question. These forums are to help owners gain info on how to fix problems and educate a person on how they can save a buck. There are sections that you can do all the smack talk you want. Go play on some kid chat room somewhere.

Oh and thanks to wde3477 for the advice.

Last edited by jarnold; 07-31-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:10 AM

Default Torx?

Originally Posted by wde3477
For the older model years, the screws are Torx - need special bits, available at most any parts store.

One problem is that the rods which connect the latch in the center to the catches at the side will come loose. You might be able to pull up on the latch and to feel up around to see if anything is loose or is rattling around.
Are you sure they are Torx bits? Torx look more like a star and the ones on this gate look like a large Philips that are tight as can be. I have some Torx and I will see if they match up.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Roll Tide Roll

Once you get that panel off, you will see two rods coming into the latch mechanism, and I think they are tied to it by two (one for each rod) plastic nuts. one or both may have broken, they may simply need to be adjusted. However you can use a set of vise grips to pull the rods in to get the tailgate open. I know you'll figure out what's wrong as soon as you get in there. I hope this will help you get the gate open at least until you get plenty of time to repair it!!! If you need anyhting further please don't hesitate to ask!! I'll be glad to go into it further if you need me to!!

"Captainwaifers" I don't see the humor, AT ALL, with saying that the problem is because it's a Ford. Chevrolet, however, IS a joke, so please take that talk elswhere. NOTE: I said please.

Quick Reply: Tailgate will not open.