Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Swapped fans today...and what a PAIN...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Swapped fans today...and what a PAIN...

My clutch fan on my 95 300-6 has decided it would be stubborn and waste gas...

Last week sometime I noticed a fluctuation on the temp gauge and the sound of the fan ramping up going down the road...the clutch was kicking in and out and when it kicked in the temp gauge would drop and almost go all the way cold...and the truck would slow down a little bit...

So I decided rather to spend the money on a new clutch fan I would just swap it for an electric unit...

Now beings I am a MAJOR packrat I have 3 or 4 electric fans I have pulled off cars I have stripped and scrapped so I found a 16in puller and decided I would take the clutch fan off and put the electric in its place...easy huh? not so much...

I had taken a Derale adjustable relay and sensor off another car a while back that was brand new and never used...looked like the owner had the same intentions but never finished it more than mounting the unit and the 30amp relay...so free to me...

so the other day I wired up the unit and relay on the core support right behind the battery in the 2 factory holes right in between the headlight and radiator...

Not wanting to go rent the tool to remove the clutch fan I decided to make my own....1/4in steel plate and I cut it for the nut...that was a good idea but now I couldnt keep the pulley still and get the fan loose...so what do we do...? we make another tool...I made one to go on the out side of the 4 bolts on teh pulley and hold it so I could get the fan loose...WORKED... (I will edit here with pics of the tools later)

No I get the fan off and I pull the shroud...I decided to mod the fan into the shroud so I didnt have to make brackets for the fan...I took NO measurements and placed the fan somewhat center of the shroud hole...this proved to be a bad idea...the motor on the fan interferes with the water pump pulley...so the holes I cut on the shroud were in the wrong spot...I needed to move the fan to the drivers side almost 2 inches...so I re-cut 1 hole for the fan to sit in and made brackets for the fan top and bottom...

Boy is this tight...I mean tight but the best part is it was all free and works...engine revs a little quicker and drives with more response...thats the best part...and the fan switch only took a little bit to set...I have it set to kick on at 170degrees and it kicks off and 162degrees...via Thermo-probe I stuck to the metal casting the Temp sensor screws into and covers it with a heater hose to seal in the heat...lol

all in all I am VERY happy...pics coming...going to take them now...

Thermal Probe wire....

Derale Relay and adjustable switch...as you can see I just threw it together...without being neat..I will do this better later as it will bug me until I do...

fan shot from top....

fan shot from front...

Last edited by dr_bowtie; 11-04-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea I'm curious to see the pics. I've got an electric flex fan from my old ranger I've been debating on putting on. It just seems like such a pain I haven't wanted to do it. However, my fan was set to always run in the ranger because the temp controlled relay with the temp probe thing, whatever the techical term is for it, that turns it on and off stopped working. What is the best, and fairly cheap of course, way to control the fan's run time? Is there a way to splice into the temp sensor wires to control the electric fan clutch?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

well you need a relay and I would get a 30amp one...the easist thing to do is just buy a set up and wire it in...

Summit racing has several and they range from 20.00-50.00 depending what you want...the 40.00 one offers adjustability and enough wire for 2 fans.....

Mine has wires for 2 fans...

Or you can buy a low temp fan switch for OEM apps and a relay and wire it yourself cheap but there is no adjustment...both Ford and Chevy have aftermarket 160degree fan switches available....

honestly I would opt for a pre-wired kits...just easier and most of the time Advance Auto carries them instaock in the fan section...check there as well...oh yea pics up...
Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM

40 bucks is definitely do-able. The one I had was adjustable, I don't know the brand but I got it from a local performance shop. It had adjustments as well as a setting for always on and always off. When it broke I had to keep it always on and the truck never really ran warm enough. I put the temp probe in the actual upper radiator hose where it meets the radiator. That's how my instructions said to run it, but your way seems a lot easier though. Your setup looks good btw
Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

thanks....it's not half bad for free and using stuff I had laying around...
Even sitting idle the fan doesnt run that often...maybe 30 seconds on and 5 minutes off....but then again it is only 50f outside...curious to see when it's warmer what happens and I also need to hook up the AC Clutch Ground to turn the fan on when the AC is on...gonna tap that off the pressure switch on the dryer...

Last edited by dr_bowtie; 11-04-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I have done this to every vehicle that I have owned that had a regular fan. Except this truck. But I think that I'm going to use one from a mark 8 or a taurus with the 2 speed thing. I haven't had much luck with the temperature controlled units before so I always just have them on a manual switch.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

this unit works great...if I had to buy one I would opt for the screw in sensor that goes off the water...Summit has them...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm curious to know how well that will work in the summer. I've never been able to get an add on electric fan to keep any vehicle cool here in Florida.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

well the electric fan I used pulls alot more air than the clutch fan does sitting idle...I mean this thing pulls some air...I may get a couple smaller ones for the AC condenser...as i love my AC in the summer time...and mine blows out the vent at 32degrees so I need it to work...lol
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM

I'm in Florida, and in that ranger the electric fan kept the truck at the very bottom of the temp gauge, even in the hottest days of summer it barely went past the first white line. Of course it was always running though. My f150 doesnt even have a fan shroud to direct the air and it still runs at a normal temperature.

Quick Reply: Swapped fans today...and what a PAIN...