Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Still at a loss!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still at a loss!

I finally got the truck to start. Now the engine shalke bad when it cold, wont stay running unless you keep your foot on the throttle to catch it back up. Changed IAC, but the old one didnt look bad/dirty. A few days later it wont start, and you can smell fuel like its flooded. I get spark to the plugs, tested at the wire on the plug end, and I assume fuel since it smells flooded. Wait a few more days, it starts. NO CODES now, but I did get a 53 a few eweks ago, and nothing since, except 11. I can do the KOER test and go through all of that and get nothing. Ive about had it with all of this electrical junk, so unless someone can offer some suggestions, Im throwing a carb on it in a couple of weeks!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Check the fuel pressure. Test the TPS.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns87
I finally got the truck to start. Now the engine shalke bad when it cold, wont stay running unless you keep your foot on the throttle to catch it back up. Changed IAC, but the old one didnt look bad/dirty. A few days later it wont start, and you can smell fuel like its flooded. I get spark to the plugs, tested at the wire on the plug end, and I assume fuel since it smells flooded. Wait a few more days, it starts. NO CODES now, but I did get a 53 a few eweks ago, and nothing since, except 11. I can do the KOER test and go through all of that and get nothing. Ive about had it with all of this electrical junk, so unless someone can offer some suggestions, Im throwing a carb on it in a couple of weeks!
You think you're miserable now? Try carbing it!

Do a fuel pressure test! I'll put some money on a fuel issue too. Possible Fuel pressure regulator.http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=41

Think w/ yer dipstip Jimmy! You've already ruled of a bunch of stuff.W/ no active codes, concentrate on non sensor related stuff.

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-10-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Im getting 38 not running when I first turn on the switch, drops to 34 - 36 while running, varying between that only droping to 32 once. TPS is new, but to be safe, how should I check it?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Im getting 38 not running when I first turn on the switch, drops to 34 - 36 while running, varying between that only droping to 32 once. TPS is new, but to be safe, how should I check it?
Sounds a little weak.

Miles on filter?

After you shut off, how long to loose pressure? Like in first minute? (tells you if injector(s) are hanging)

Variation between F/R tanks, if you have two?

Do the F/P/R test noted on the Like provided earlier.

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-10-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I guess Im doing something wrong when I post because it doesnt show up, but the pressure drops around 2 psi every 45 seconds or so. I am suppose to have 2 tanks, but one has been taken out, not by me, and I have another coming from a salvage yard. The filrer has about 30 miles on it, and both pumps were repalced at the same time, supoosedly about a year ago, and they both do look new to me.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:29 PM

I guess Im doing something wrong when I post because it doesnt show up, but the pressure drops around 2 psi every 45 seconds or so. I am suppose to have 2 tanks, but one has been taken out, not by me, and I have another coming from a salvage yard. The filrer has about 30 miles on it, and both pumps were repalced at the same time, supoosedly about a year ago, and they both do look new to me.
As long as it doesn’t leakdown more than 5PSI within 60 seconds after pump shutdown.

What does F/P psi do when you remove the vacuum line from the F/P relay while running?
Effect engine behavior?

Do you see/smell fuel when Vac hose removed?

Last edited by ymeski56; 10-10-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Ill have to see waht the pressure does tomoorow. (The guy who loaned me his gauge needs it this evening for his truck. Ill pull that hose shorlty and post results when I get the gauge back. I think I know where youre going with this. I shouldnt have fuel out of the regualtor, right?

Unplugged reg. Ran slightly rougher, but not much. Put my finger over end of vacumm hose and it smoothed up some. reattached hose and it ran like it has been, rough and shaking. I did do a "tune up: on it last month, but it didnt seem to help much. (Plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air filter, etc.) My youngest son loves your avatar!

Last edited by Johns87; 10-10-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Updated!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Ill have to see waht the pressure does tomoorow. (The guy who loaned me his gauge needs it this evening for his truck. Ill pull that hose shorlty and post results when I get the gauge back. I think I know where youre going with this. I shouldnt have fuel out of the regualtor, right?

Unplugged reg. Ran slightly rougher, but not much. Put my finger over end of vacumm hose and it smoothed up some. reattached hose and it ran like it has been, rough and shaking. I did do a "tune up: on it last month, but it didnt seem to help much. (Plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air filter, etc.) My youngest son loves your avatar!
That's where I was going. No fuel.

That's the "Think with your dipstick, Jimmy!" Avatar.

As opposed to the "WTF were you thinkin!" Avatar.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Fooled around a little thiks afternoon since my buddy cant bring his gauge back for a few days, but I decided to check for codes, KOEO nothing, KOER got 12, 21, 44, 33, 25. What are these, since i cant find the guide I use to use, and would these cause my running rough problems, and can they be verified, or just repalce them and be done with it?

Quick Reply: Still at a loss!