Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issues

Hi guys,
I have a 95 with the IFS and my truck is a handful to drive.While driving down the highway it will pull to one side,when I turn the wheel in the opposite direction it snaps quickly feeling like the whole front end shifts back and forth.
I have also noticed that when I park the camber on my truck seems to be correct most of the time,but preaty often after I park and look at the front end my camber is way off on both wheels.The top of the wheel is farther to the outside on both sides.
I have replaced all the linkage,wheel bearings etc.There seems to be no play when I jack it up and try to move the tire checking for ball joint issues.I have even replaced the steering gearbox all to no avail.
What the could be causing the issue with the camber ?
Thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 96 F150 with the same front suspension as your truck and I do not seem to have the same level of difficulty you are having. Another member here, with a 95(I think) has mentioned, in a previous post, to having noticed a difference in camber from time to time. He didn't seem worried about it and I think he is a mechanic. You could try taking it to an alignment shop for a look-see. Maybe they could let you know if you have missed anything.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
American Pride!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would(or have someone) replace the all the bushings in the front end (plus the radius arm bushings if they havent been replaced)and while I was in there I would replace the upper and lower balljoints on both sides and then get it aligned. Its not supposed to do what youre describing. I know the parts are all together a little expensive but the bushings and balljoints wont last forever and if none have been replaced then its alot easier to me to do it all that at one time since there seems to be an issue with the balljoints or bushings and you will already have it apart and excessible. Thats best for the long run anyway.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar steering problem with mine, it was "memory steering" would pull to one side and you had to fight it back over then it would sort of snap over and start fighting the opposite direction. Turned out to be a frozen U-Joint on the drivers side. I never noticed that the wheels looked any different though.

Quick Reply: Steering Issues