Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

steering gear box leaking bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default steering gear box leaking bad

i got a 1993 f150 4.9l 5spd and just yesterday i found out i have no power steering fluid in my pump. so i filled it up and went on. then today i go outside and see all the fluid on the ground. i took a look and it looks like it is leaking out of the gearr box by the pitman arm. its been leaking slowly for about a year or so now. i went offraoding yesterday and thats when i heard the pump was out of fluid. im just wondering if you can just replace the seal on the gear box or do i have to replace the whole thing? i look on autozones and napa websites and they call it a input shaft seal, is that the seal i need to fix that or no? are they hard to replace?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you CAN rebuild the box yourself, but the hassle to replace the input shaft seal, your better of spending $150 and getting a reman. unit,
Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

well it looks like it is leaking out of the pitman arm spot so it is the pitman arm seal. ill take a look later it is raining so i will narrow it down when it gets nicer out.

Quick Reply: steering gear box leaking bad