Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Steering column switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering column switch

The multi function switch (turn signal switch) on my 89 seems to have a short in it. The switch never has worked well, doesn't turn off for right turns, doesn't stay on for left turns. Also occasionally when using the blinkers it turns off the cruise control. Tonight I noticed that I didn't have a left brake light part of the time. Traced it to the switch. If the switch isn't positioned exactly to the nuetral posisiton, the roght brake light doesn't work. So is all the electric module available, or a dealer only item? I would guess snaking the wires through the column is going to be a little difficult? any suggestions? Also the start switch is stiff, how would you lube that start shaft? might as well do it at the same time.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I would assume the multi-function switch is available from the parts store, or try LMC Truck.

About the part where it won't turn off for right and won't stay on for left, this is usually because the steering wheel is crooked. The wheel has to be positioned correctly for the switch to cancel properly. If the wheel is straight on your truck then it's possible someone at one time put the wheel on crooked to straighten it out because it was crooked for them. There should be marks on the wheel and shaft to see if it's in line.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to hear about freeing up the key switch too - mine gets pretty hard to turn when it's cold out, but works fine when it's warm. I've put a new lock cylinder in (old one was worn out anyway, and hoped it would cure the stiff switch), but it's gotta be on down the column somewhere...
Old 03-16-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Switch reply

I apologize for getting off subject. In response to Alien8mycow's question: My 89 F150 ignition switch is halfway down the steering column. It sits on top of the column and can be replaced without dropping the column. It's a pain, but can be done. These switches can stiffen-up/wear-out over time.... as well as the linkage inside the column that connects to the ignition switch. Mine was too worn out to bother with. I replaced the entire steering column (salvage yard). Works very smoothly.

wormshoe

Quick Reply: Steering column switch