Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

starting/power issue

Old 07-10-2011, 12:50 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Default starting/power issue

I already solved the issue, just wanted to share the experience so others could learn from it if they need to.

I changed my oil today, finally, been driving all day with no problems. Go see a movie, when I come out the truck wont crank. When I try I can hear a click/clunk sort of noise on the passenger side and then ALL power just goes away, nothing there. No lights, no gauges, no radio.

That told me either starter or starter solenoid (that's what I know it as, the little thing just behind the battery) isn't working right because of a power issue. So I lay under the truck and have my friend try and the starter doesn't even engage, but I still hear the noise. Solenoid next. Try again after the power comes back and sure enough the solenoid is trying to work but it can't quite get there.

I grab a jumper wire and try to jump the solenoid just to see if it was going out. Same problem and noise except now I see a small spark on the negative of the battery.

I disconnect the two cables and take off the ends (I have some universal ones that just bolt/clamp to the cables) and they're all rusty. Cable ends and cables. So I clean them off real good, put it back together, and she fires right up. Need to get a little grease from work Monday, guess the "terminal protectant" stuff that came with the terminal kit wasn't doing its job.

Just something for people to consider if a similar situations pops up for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starting/power issue