Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

starter turns no crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter turns no crank

Hey guys Jerr here I need help please. I have a 6 cylinder 4.9 carburated f150 that wont start or crank. Starter spins freely, solinoid good but doesn't seen to be engaging the ring gear or fly wheel. Turned the crank pulley half a turn by hand...nothing. Changed the starter...nothing. I AM STUMPED and frustrated has anyone run into and hopefully overcome this problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:36 PM

Interesting...I once owned a 1992 F150 2wd, 4.9, 5-speed truck...I liked it but it didn't have the oomph to do what I was doing at the time.

I am assuming the starter actually DID crank the engine at one time? So you then bought a new starter, and it still does the same thing? Is the starter motor actually going into the housing far enough to engage the gear when you turn the key?

It seems that if two starters are performing the same problem, and you have cranked the engine over at least 1/2 turn, it should engage something, unless ALL the teeth are chewed off the flywheel...if you take the starter off, can you get a flashlight and take a look up into the cavity to see the flywheel, and verify that you DO have teeth on it?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Thanks for responding. Yeah it's not the flywheel. My flywheel on my 81 got chewed up due to a improper starter alignment so I know what that damage sounds and feels like lol. The truck ran fine until 2 days ago. It's always been a hard start in the colder weather but I've never owned an older f150 that wasn't. It seems as though the starter isn't clicking out to engage but I can't figure why. Maybe a wiring problem?

Quick Reply: starter turns no crank