Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Starter stays engaged. im stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:50 AM
I

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Starter stays engaged. im stumped.

Ok guys...I have read many threads on this problem. The starter stays engaged after the engine is running. I've read every thread I can find about it and I've replaced/upgraded everything I can think of, including:
-ignition switch
-starter
-like 7 solenoids
-battery
-two 4 gauge positive battery cables
-1 gauge negative battery cable from neg post to starter bolt
-4 gauge starter wire from solenoid to starter
-upgraded ground from negative bat post to body in front of battery(4 gauge)
-added ground wire from neg post to frame (4 gauge)
All my wires are new and connections are clean. I can put a new solenoid on and it starts the truck great for about a week then it sticks again. My last one was a motorcraft. I've read Sean's suggestions about the double positive cables so I did that and it STILL does it. I am stumped. The only thing else I can think of is maybe I missed upgrading a ground wire somewhere. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

All grounds should be the same size. Also, add a battery to engine block and engine block to frame ground.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Is there any possibility that the starter is not aligned right and hanging up on the fly wheel or something?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ol' Navy
All grounds should be the same size. Also, add a battery to engine block and engine block to frame ground.
Also, try turning the key and jump starting your truck by having a wire on the positive of the solenoid and touch the positive terminal on the battery. If it starts and doesn't do it then you know it's in your ignition switch.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 AM
I

Ol' Navy, thanks. I'll get some cable and try adding those grounds. Also I'll try jumping the solenoid, but right now this ones stuck on so to start the truck I'm just touching the starter wire to it's post on the solenoid.
Memoniz, its not the starter hanging up but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Just throwing out a few suggestions since I know this has to be frustrating:

#1 - Make sure the solenoid itself has a good ground on the fender wall. Take a piece of folded sandpaper or one of those straight wire straw brushes (don't know what they're actually called) and see if you can clean the two bolt holes out. Also, if necessary sand under the head of the solenoid mounting bolts or replace them.

#2 - Also, I have heard of people switching the positive battery and starter wires around on the solenoid to fix the problem.

Not sure if it'll help, but these are more suggestions.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:28 PM
I

Thanks qdeezie. It is frustrating, especially when everything you try does nothing lol. My battery cable and other small leads are all on the right side. The starter wire is on the left. Is this how they should be? Also I read some posts where you upgraded your ground wires throughout. I already have battery to frame, battery to body in front of battery,battery to starter bolt. Ol navy suggested battery to block and block to frame. Where else should I add a ground?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

There should be a battery to block connection. The location on the block is behind where the smog pump goes. If you've removed your smog pump, you should easily see it.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 PM
I

Yeah I've removed my smog pump. When I put the 1 guage cable on I took off the wire that was on a stud behind the smog pump. I think I'll put my block to frame ground in that spot.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by tanman90
Yeah I've removed my smog pump. When I put the 1 guage cable on I took off the wire that was on a stud behind the smog pump. I think I'll put my block to frame ground in that spot.
Good idea but make sure it's bare shiny metal and on a part of the body/chassis before you do. No welded pieces solid pieces have the best grounds.
The following users liked this post:
tanman90 (07-19-2014)

Quick Reply: Starter stays engaged. im stumped.