Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

The squeal is revealed...(I think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default The squeal is revealed...(I think)

I am sure many of you remember my post, from a few months ago, about the squealing noise coming from my truck when it was driving. I thought a new post was better than reviving the old thread. The noise still comes and goes as it pleases, and has been doing so this week. Today, I drove down to my hunting camp to take down the blinds and rail pads from my ladder stands. They last longer and the bees don't get to make a home in the pads.

I stopped to get gas on the way home and I noticed what appears to be grease on the right front rim. The truck has been kinda dirty with all the rain and/or snow/sleet we have gotten the last couple of weeks. I washed the truck last week, at the high-pressure laserwash, but did not notice the grease on the rim until today. I am attaching a pic of the rim below. I think this "evidence" points to the bearing seals being bad, correct?
(this is the first time any grease has appeared on this, or any rim)
Attached Thumbnails The squeal is revealed...(I think)-pict0218.jpg  

Last edited by dewman; 03-15-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
mecmar44

That would be my guess. I was having trouble with my 4x4 and found out that my left hub isn't working right, and on the right side i got squealing and occasional clunks like you have. However, no grease on my rim? I would definitely take it apart and give her a look though.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Quackhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dewman, off topic but are those 31x10.5x15 Yokohama Geolanders?? If so, same tire and size I run, how do you like them?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Originally Posted by Drakebuster
Hey Dewman, off topic but are those 31x10.5x15 Yokohama Geolanders?? If so, same tire and size I run, how do you like them?
Yes, you are correct about the tire, they are the A/T-S version. Got 'em for $135, mounted and balanced.
So far, I can't complain a bit. They handle great on dry roads around turns, even at high(er) speeds... And the wet traction is great too. I have not had trouble spinning my wheels in the rain, unless I really want to.

Have not had enough snow to try them in yet, but hopefully next year will bring enough to 4x4 in!

I have a pic posted in my gallery, from the Yokohama website.

Last edited by dewman; 03-19-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

appears to be a bad bearing seal, my friends car did that and he had grease everywhere on his wheel and brakes
Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Quackhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewman
Yes, you are correct about the tire, they are the A/T-S version. Got 'em for $135, mounted and balanced.
So far, I can't complain a bit. They handle great on dry roads around turns, even at high(er) speeds... And the wet traction is great too. I have not had trouble spinning my wheels in the rain, unless I really want to.

Have not had enough snow to try them in yet, but hopefully next year will bring enough to 4x4 in!

I have a pic posted in my gallery, from the Yokohama website.
Thats about what I paid for mine, exept mine are the A/TII. I have no complaints myself.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Originally Posted by Drakebuster
Thats about what I paid for mine, exept mine are the A/TII. I have no complaints myself.
I was looking for those myself, but nobody seemed to have them when I was looking. When the current tires wear out, I will replace the with the A/T II's.

Quick Reply: The squeal is revealed...(I think)