Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Spark plug torque

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug torque

Hello all,

I'm getting a range of recommendations. 1996 4.9L, how much torque on the spark plugs? Alldata says "for V8 engines, 7-15 ft-lb," and says nothing about the 4.9. Haynes says 17-22 (no units, which they say is ft-lb by default), and 72-120 in-lb for 7.5L.

So, 20 ft-lb for the 4.9L? A couple of sources say 0.044" for the gap.

Bill
Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always been told to hand-tighten, then take down another 1/4 turn. That's enough to seat the crush washer but not enough to screw things up.

There should be an emissions sticker on the underside of your hood - it'll list the plug gap for your truck - that's the only source that I would trust. I've been through the gap and install, remove, re-gap, reinstall bit before, because the guy at the parts store gave me incorrect info.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Mine's an '87 and calls for a .044 gap. I don't go crazy torqueing everything on the truck. I tighten until it bottoms and a little more than that. It's hard to describe torque without a measurement. Don't crank it down hard but not too loose either.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Yes, check the sticker.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 PM

yeah, you sort of get a feel for how tight something should be the more you work on stuff.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 AM

Thanks guys!

I will look for the sticker for the gap, and bottom + 1/4 sounds like a plan.

Bill
Old 11-02-2008, 05:05 PM

As an aside, I hit a snag with my Craftsman air compressor. The drain valve has always been a pain (no good way to grab it), and I decided not to trust it until I replace it. Is that the kind of thing that needs an exact match, or would anybody's brass drain valve and some low-strength lock-tite take care of it?

I am using a seriously old and small compressor to blow dirt off of the head. I decided to start with the plugs and got two of them, working front to back. Both look more or less like what I understand a normal plug to look like, with gray deposits. The first wire runs under/around the power steering pump bracket, and has a sheath on it. It looks like it is probably the split conduit/sheath (not sure what to call it), but I am having trouble finding the split if that is the case. Any ideas? If it is not split, it seems unlikely that I would be able to transfer it??

The sticker said 42-46 for the gap.

As I work on the plugs and later the distributor, is there anything I should expect to remove to make room? So far, the throttle body gave me some trouble, but a flexible extension did the trick.

Re torque, the second plug felt great. It bottomed out clearly, and I gave it 1/4 turn past that. The first plug, I'm not as convinced, mostly because it did have such a clear bottom. I am torn between backing off and trying it again and leaving well enough alone.

I am not sure how much more work I will be able to do on it today as time is getting away from me. At least with two plugs replaced, it still runs

Bill
Old 11-02-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sheath is just plastic with a split down the middle as you thought - they wrap them with electrical tape at the factory though. It's good stuff and seems to shrink wrap over time. Might be hard to find the split. If you got good heavy wires, you probably won't need the sheath anyway.

Gray deposits are good - probably normal wear.
Black oily stuff is bad.
Carbon coating would indicate a lack of combustion - pointing you toward the fuel injector for that cylinder.

Check the gap as you pull them. If one or more have a huge gap or build up almost closing the gap, that could be part of your issue too.

You mentioned distributor - did you get a cap and rotor kit too? If you have a distributor, you should replace those while you're at it.

The first plug might have had some junk in the threads - not a lot you can do about it. Get a feel for how that 1/4 turn feels, and try to get it about the same feel as the others.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 PM

It's officially dark outside - can't stand time changes IMHO, we should move the clocks 30 minutes one time and be done with it, or, just change schedules by 30 minutes. IIRC AZ changes time zone to keep their clocks where they were, while the rest of the country either loses sleep or wonders why they're so hungry before lunch.

The changed plug count is up to four. The next two look rustier than the ones I have removed, and will probably be easier to reach - think. They are also fairly far back. I generally stand on a couple of cement blocks - better ideas welcome.

Plug 3 was enlightening. I was hand-tightening it with my $4 leather/polyester gloves and an extension, and ended up lightly gripping/slipping while I turned it. It is hard to describe, but the bottom line is that they plugs seem to want to trick me into thinking they are tight when they are in fact not all the way in. After a fair amount of that (all very low torque, but lots of little steps), it started threading easily and hit a clear bottom.

Do you really want a 1/4 turn after bottoming out? On a couple of them, I probably got to 1/8 turn and decided it was about done.

I became suspicious that the first plug tricked me, and it had. A little fiddling go it moving again, then it bottomed out properly and I nudged it some more to (hopefully) seat it. In particular, it should be easy to reach with a torque wrench as a check.

Let me know if anything sounds stupid. Do you want me to run the engine for a while and then re-check the plugs? If so, how long is a while? Any particular conditions?

It is definitely time to replace the wires. The instructions all say to pull on the boot, not the wire. One of the boots pulled off of the wire. Another clip or two is getting a little weak.

I have long known about the trick of changing one wire at a time. What about when changing the cap. Would I just move them from the old cap to the new one, one at a time, or should I label them and replace the cap that way?

Bill
Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by aliens8mycow
The sheath is just plastic with a split down the middle as you thought - they wrap them with electrical tape at the factory though. It's good stuff and seems to shrink wrap over time. Might be hard to find the split. If you got good heavy wires, you probably won't need the sheath anyway.
Ok. When I pull the wire out to replace it, it might be easier to see. Or I can just get more of sheath and start over. The wires look pretty good, but it would not hurt to add some protection given the path.

Gray deposits are good - probably normal wear. Black oily stuff is bad. Carbon coating would indicate a lack of combustion - pointing you toward the fuel injector for that cylinder.
No oily stuff yet.

Check the gap as you pull them. If one or more have a huge gap or build up almost closing the gap, that could be part of your issue too.

You mentioned distributor - did you get a cap and rotor kit too? If you have a distributor, you should replace those while you're at it.
The plugs have looked pretty good so far. Nothing wet, and the gaps are open. Looking at them some more, they have varying amounts of what I assume is carbon. The third one back had a slightly tight gap and a bit more carbon on it than the others.

I did buy a cap and rotor. I just posted a question about how to best get the wires from the old cap to the new. One at a time until the old cap is free?

The first plug might have had some junk in the threads - not a lot you can do about it. Get a feel for how that 1/4 turn feels, and try to get it about the same feel as the others.
As long as the junk doesn't land in the cylinder, I can live with it. I might throw a torque wrench on the first one just to see if I am in the ballpark.

Call me nuts, but I ran it again with four plugs changed, and I think it's running better. Thanks for your help!!!

Bill

Quick Reply: Spark plug torque