Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Solid axle swap

Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid axle swap

lright here goes nothin!
I've been filtering through threads on this topic for way too long now and can't seem to find my scenario, so here it is.
I have a 1994 f150, 2wd, and an assortment of 1978 f150 parts, including a solid Dana 44 I want to put in.
I'm looking to do as little fabricating and keep it low cost as it is my daily driver meaning it will never see boulders or be under stress. It doesn't need all the beefing up with extended radius arms and custom spring shims as I'm not getting outrageous springs. Daily driver also means this swap needs to be done in a weekend, so as much research and pre-prep is what I'm doing

First off I'm keeping the stock 96 spring buckets. The more I have to meddle the more room for human error, I'd like this primarily bolt on.
This is where I feel like the only one, but I'm not lifting it 5 feet in the air! I'm hoping this cuts down on a lot of complications I've been reading about. It will be lifted 2.5 inches(note I have read that keeping stock 96 spring pockets with this axle will also lift 2ish inches, giving 4 inch total correct??). I will be buying a 78 suspension lift,equipped with required c bushings,MY FIRST QUESTION:do I need radius arm drop brackets if it comes with c bushings? I'm asking because so many of these threads are dealing with 6+ inches of lift.
Steering is my next topic since all the other threads are dealing with outrageous lifts. I have read that the F350 steering rack ball joints and linkages will fit my truck and the axle, but have heard vague issues with it being too long, some clarification would be great. SECOND QUESTION:do I need a drop pitman arm for the size of lift I'm doing?
Final need for clarification is on the Trac bar since I'm not lifted 5 feet off the ground. I've seen there's a bracket I can get online, is it just a matter of bolt on and done?
Any other clarification or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solid axle swap