Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Smog Pump Removal (Please Read)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Pump Removal (Please Read)

I know there are many posts on this, but my smog pump is seizing up. What is the best way to remove it? (will it come up through the front if i take the fan off)? and what do i do with the tubes that go to it? I will buy a pulley bracket once i figure out how to remove it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I did mine 2 years ago on my '90 5.0L and remember having to go from top to bottom a couple times to reach everything, but it is not that tough. It did come up through the top, but it takes some wiggling. I used some zip ties or something to pull the hoses back out of the way. It might help if you pull the fan shroud off to give you a little more working room. Can't remember how I swapped the pulley, but I remember it was easy. Maybe the rebuilt one I got had the pulley on it already. Wish I could remember, but all I have is a simple set of chinese pullers, and I don't remember any hassle at all. I can say for sure the you will get dirty. You have to stick your arms in some tight (at least for me, I'm 275lbs.) places, you might want to do a quick Gunk shot first to clean things up a bit.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I should just put a rebuilt one on, instead of messing with all the vacuum stuff. I hate check engine lights.

Quick Reply: Smog Pump Removal (Please Read)