Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Smog Pump Elimination

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog Pump Elimination

My 1988 Custom smog pump has apparently seized up, as the pulley don't turn and belt goes around pulley squealing very loudly . Has anyone eliminated use of pump by removing pulley and using a shorter serpentine belt, and if so do you know the approximate length of the belt needed to do this ? Do not need smog pump ,as our state doesn't do emissions tests anymore.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends on engine size...Best way to measure is just take some rope/string/wire. Then wrap it around all the pulleys....Then measure the string....I had to do this when I swapped my 5.8L engine in. Smog pump Delete + under-drive pulleys using 5.0L alternator accessory bracket.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

true you could run a shorter belt that will cost more than a stock one and I have a buddy that went the headeache of trying to fit a smaller belt but ended up seeing it my way the first time he needed a belt and they didn't have it in stock so. if its a 302 look up mustang aftermarket air pump delete pulleys on summit youll only find this by looking up mustangs. not sure why the running gear is identical on bolth truck and car . pulley was les than 30 bucks, and I get to use the infinite selection of stock replacement belts vs what they have in that size. p.s. the shorter belt set ups create emince strain on the tensioner, and if you put belts on that are to taunt it creates extra strain on bearinged components like , alternator, water pump, and so on, gotta remember they only desighned these parts for a certain amount of cross load.( or pressure on one side of the pully drawing the pully tighter towards the center of mass. im all about goin fast but im also about long Gevity
Old 10-09-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I deleted the smog pump on my 5.0L and ran under drive pulleys. I used the same length as a mustang 5.0L with smog pump delete and under drive pulleys...

Belt was tight fit would of been better off using 1/2" longer belt. It's best to measure before going out and guessing. This picture I posted was from a mustang forum...This is what I went by and worked fine for me on my 92' F150

Last edited by Toplait; 10-09-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

roflmao that's the same diagram my buddy used. after 5 trips to the part store trying to get a belt around those sizes lol he gave up. its not that it wont work ohh itll work one of those diagrams youll have the tensioner so sprung you wont be able to release it to change it again lol. I preffer kiss . ill bet a gold dollar its still cheaper my way and just as affective . just saying. my bro did get one of those to work though I will say that, only after he buaght new smaller pulley kit a 50 dollar belt and 5 trips to the store and a headache he ended up saying I should've did what you did lol cuase I was done in 2 hours and spent less than a hundo , he was about 400 deep when he finally got one of these diagrams to work all because he wanted a shorter belt.. do what you want . but be prepared to have your wits challenged at the part store when you think aaa well whats a quarter of an inch and your banging your head when you get back saying to yourself that what a quarter inch gives me lol..

Quick Reply: Smog Pump Elimination