Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Sloppy shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sloppy shifter

Hello to all,

I just found this forum (Thank God!). I bought a '89 F150 in Sept. and now the shifter is getting sloppy. It still shifts, but sometimes I have to really fish for a gear....mainly going from 3rd to 4th, and it's harder at highway speeds than it is at in town speeds.

I was told it's probably the shifting forks or possibly the bushing (collar) on the shifter.

What say ye?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It's most likely the shifter bushings. This link explains the process of changing them:
http://therangerstation.com/Magazine...erbushings.htm
It says Ranger but it's the same.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, this is great!! I just realized that I don't have any shifter bushings in my tranny shifter. I thought it seemed a little weird that I could move my shifter up and almost out of "socket". That may be why it is crucial that I take my time shifting gears, because it may have too much slop..... well in addition to other things that may be wrong, but I at least know that I need some bushings!!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, I'lll definately get some bushings then!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Sorry to threadjack but I need to ask a question that may be related to my thread "Drive shaft". I haven't removed the shaft and used the yoke to turn the tranny with the clutch engaged just yet, but would a sloppy shifter (i.e. without bushings) cause the gears to not shift correctly? This would be another option to the rearend being the problem as stated in the other thread. I drove my truck today and I couldn't get it to shift in some gears and I had to rev high to get to engage in others. I put it in reverse and the truck almost locked up but I didn't stop when I felt it. I put it in gear and it is jamming on me. I can't quite explain it, but what could be the cause? Remember you may have to read two thread to understand what I am talking about. Again Sorry for the extra work to figure this one out.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 PM
We'd do it

My truck has nothing left for shifter bushings too. It does make it harder to shift, and I can feel when it isn't shifting right. I have to take it out of the gear I'm trying to shift into and try again sometimes.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 PM

This may be a stupid question, but is there a wrong way to install a tranny when removed that would cause the shaft to NOT engage correctly when the clutch is depressed? I am just trying to figure out what is going on with my truck all of a sudden. The shifting problem is driving me nuts.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 PM
We'd do it

No, there isn't a way to install it incorrectly. If it bolted in everything is lined up.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Ok, so my next question is the drive shaft. Would the drive shaft cause the gears to not shift correctly? I would like to assume no, because it seems its only purpose would be to turn the rearend to move the truck forward or backward. But I am still asking it. To go further, how do you know when the drive shaft is bad, or the rear end is bad? Maybe this should be another thread.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the rear cover and do a good inspection of the gears AND the carrier. check for cracks and excessive backlash.

Quick Reply: Sloppy shifter