Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Several issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Several issues

Alright guys I have had most of my questions answered on here by searching but thought I would just post some issues I am having on my 93 F150 5.0. I am working through these one at a time from most important in my mind. I have not researched all of these yet but if there is something that can be done to fix multiple symptoms I am all ears.
Listed in no particular order.
-Transmission did not shift once during hour drive home (back roads). Would start really sluggish but once up to speed felt normalish.
-Missing muffler. (installed a glasspack for the time being)
-Speedo did not work. (Installed VSS as it was missing)
-Missing passenger window (found at salvage yard and installed)
-Runs really rich and kid i got it from said he turned up idle cause it was idling low and rough.
-While replacing plugs noticed EGR pipe is just crimped. Did not see the other end.
-Picked up a scanner but cannot find the plug for it.
-There is a tube that comes out from under the oil fill cap with a bolt in it. No idea where it is supposed to go.
-Need to check all vacuum lines at some point.
-Need to clean the engine to find the actual leaks as oppsed to the grime and dirt.
-No door handles inside. No radio. Shifter sloppy. Steering sloppy. etc.

Thats a pretty good list for now. Thanks for any insight. Like I said I am working on the driveability first then I will tackle the rest of the stuf and maybe start modding (mild) eventually. Thanks for reading. I love it and I am going to put alot of TLC (No scrubs) into it.
Paul
Old 02-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Tube under filler cap should have a hose to air intake ductwork . The scanner plug should be under drivers side hood hinge or vicinity . Tranny needs speedo to function properly . You have a long list . Codes first and vacuum leaks to start with . Fuel pressure also .
The following users liked this post:
mccdad (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the codes and it doesn't look good.

Can I replace the solenoid block or do I have to do a full rebuild. The fluid is low too so going to get more tonight. I have a bad feeling that those problems are permanent so rebuild or replace? If rebuild what do I need to replace?
Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Start by getting the Speedo working properly. It's like a mini computer that tells the main computer a bunch of things it needs to know so it can tell the tranny when to shift - which it does through a set of circuits that go to the shift solenoids and convertor solenoid.
Back off the set screw on the throttle that the kid played with so that it doesn't touch - that is a factory preset screw that is not designed to control the idle - the idle is controlled by the IAC on the side of the throttle body; which is controlled by the computer - you can't just "turn up the idle" on a computer controlled EFI system ;; no, nothing, never - you're not supposed to touch that screw - it is not there for people to play with.
Door handles from 87 to 96 will work.
Sloppy shifter could mean the 2 torx head bolts that hold the shifter plate to the shift tube are loose - common problem. Lie on your back with your head jammed against the brake pedal and look up; you can get at them from there.

Tightening the rocker cover and oil pan bolts goes a long way toward stopping the leaks
The following users liked this post:
mccdad (02-19-2017)