Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Rough Idle

Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rough Idle

I got a 92 with a 302 short tube headers and true dual exhaust 4 speed my truck has been idleing rough and the battery gauge goes back and forth when it is idleing rough its been doing that when i first start driving and when i shut it down doesnt matter if the air is on or off or if lights are on or off, what could it be? oh no codes either
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 AM

bump
Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

When was the last tune up? Check volts in battery and volts coming out of the alternator. Ground wires. Clean the battery post. Turn the lights,heater and every thing off that draws power and see if it runs better. Do you need to jump or charge the battery? Some weak batterys will start the truck but strugle to keep it running but runs off the alternator. How many amps does your alternator put out? Is this a g2 or g3 alternator?Take a battery out of another truck and see if it helps. How much is the gauge jumping? With no codes every thing may be working but working real slow.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM

its a brand new battery i put it in myself and it moves alot i just changed oil plugs and air filter
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 PM

And the other ansewers to the above questions. Why did you only change the plugs? You must have checked,cleaned and tested every thing else?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM

i havent tested to rest of that i changed plugs oil and oil filter the plug wires are new tomorrow im gunna go get the rest tested i was thinking about it and could it be the IAC?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 AM

I bet if you pull you cap it will have build up. Finish your tune up and put a bottle of red heet in the tank your running. This will help if you have alittle water in the tank and it has injector cleaner in it. If you only have a half of tank of gas only put in half of the bottle. Put a new fuel filter in also. It could be a IAC, take it off and shake it. If it rattles to much replace it. If not clean it and put it back in. I would reset the computer after working on the IAC. In fact aways reset the computer after any work is done on a engine. Whats your fuel pressure?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

try replacing your MAP sensor,or cleaning your MAF sensor.that could very well be it.also sounds like the fuel pressure is screwed up? weird.

my truck....92 ford f150 xlt 300 6 cy,stick.....rough idled bad cpl times.....replaced with another map sensor and whola.....problem solved.they're $40 a piece.

if never cleaned out MAF sensor before then becareful,use caution.url below will guide you on that.

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM

wheres the maf? i know where they are on the 10th gen it runs amazing if im actually driving. does it matter that i have no cats or x or h pipes?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Aktech
I bet if you pull you cap it will have build up. Finish your tune up and put a bottle of red heet in the tank your running. This will help if you have alittle water in the tank and it has injector cleaner in it. If you only have a half of tank of gas only put in half of the bottle. Put a new fuel filter in also. It could be a IAC, take it off and shake it. If it rattles to much replace it. If not clean it and put it back in. I would reset the computer after working on the IAC. In fact aways reset the computer after any work is done on a engine. Whats your fuel pressure?
idk the fuel pressure i dont have a tester... saturday i might go to uti and make my buddy look at it since they got all the tools needed obviously

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough Idle