Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Rethink possible??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rethink possible??

Ok guys the more I get into this build on my 95 f150 the more I don't know what to do with it. Question is, it possible to convert this truck to 4wd? I know if I do this I will have to get parts out of junkyards and take a chance but the body is in great condition and all the 4wd in this model are beat up to hell and back. Truck already has a hole in the floor for the shifter I just need to know what can and can't be done. And is it worth it. I really like this truck I just don't know which direction to go with it.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been reading in this forum for the last couple of months as my 17 year old son wants a "brick nose" f150. There are several available where I live in Texas and if I wanted a 4x4 or manual, I would buy it configured that way. I'm mechanically inclined, however, I wouldn't want to undertake robbing parts from a junkyard donor and put it into a truck I paid a couple of grand for. That is just my .02.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

There are several 4x4 threads where people have done swaps. Both a solid axle and the replacement parts for a 4x4 of the same year. Biggest thing is to research what you'll need and start gathering parts. Once you have all the parts you think you need, set aside some money for the parts you didn't think about (think bushings, bolts, gaskets, etc).

This is definitely not for a first timer, but if you take your time it's doable. I'll come back and edit with a guy that has done this.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/has-an...ersion-301029/

Last edited by Manuellabour247; 09-01-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
There are several 4x4 threads where people have done swaps. Both a solid axle and the replacement parts for a 4x4 of the same year. Biggest thing is to research what you'll need and start gathering parts. Once you have all the parts you think you need, set aside some money for the parts you didn't think about (think bushings, bolts, gaskets, etc).

This is definitely not for a first timer, but if you take your time it's doable. I'll come back and edit with a guy that has done this.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/has-an...ersion-301029/
Thanks for the reply. I've found some 4x4 trucks that have blown engines that are going for cheap so I will just use it as a parts truck. Rebuilding my 5.0 and swaping everything over to my truck. From what I've read people have had success with it. Can I use the trans out of my current 2wd?
Old 09-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

No. the 4x4 trans has a different tailshaft.
It's a lot of work but it's do-able.
Everything bolts up in the same place more or less.
Get a donor truck and keep it until you're done.
Go for one with a manual shift transfer case or you'll have a wiring nightmare with electric shift.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Yeah that was the plan. I don't care for the electronic 4wd system. I've had a lot of issues with those in the past. Are there any sensors for the Tcase that I need to know about? I'm planning on using the trans and rear end out of the parts truck as well. Any electrical changes with this swap that will cause problems?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

There shouldn't be. Just make sure you have the same transmission. Also the same year will save computer hassles.
There's the 4r70w and the E4OD
On the door post sticker, the 4r70w has a "U" and the E4OD has an "E"
Or count the bolts on the pan - I think 1 has 14 and the other has 20, or thereabouts.
Rear driveshaft is going to be shorter too - like I said, keep the donor truck around.
The only real big difference between the 2 trucks is the rear spring width.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaze20
Thanks for the reply. I've found some 4x4 trucks that have blown engines that are going for cheap so I will just use it as a parts truck. Rebuilding my 5.0 and swaping everything over to my truck. From what I've read people have had success with it. Can I use the trans out of my current 2wd?
Would it be easier to put the engine from the 4x2 into the 4x4 with the blown engine, or is the body of the 4x4 in too bad of shape?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pwaho
Would it be easier to put the engine from the 4x2 into the 4x4 with the blown engine, or is the body of the 4x4 in too bad of shape?
It's in bad shape. It is rusting all over the cab and there are holes in the bed where the rust was so bad. The 2wd body is perfect expect a couple of Scratches.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
There shouldn't be. Just make sure you have the same transmission. Also the same year will save computer hassles.
There's the 4r70w and the E4OD
On the door post sticker, the 4r70w has a "U" and the E4OD has an "E"
Or count the bolts on the pan - I think 1 has 14 and the other has 20, or thereabouts.
Rear driveshaft is going to be shorter too - like I said, keep the donor truck around.
The only real big difference between the 2 trucks is the rear spring width.
Trans in the 2wd is a 4r70w.

Quick Reply: Rethink possible??