Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Removing Transmission 1990

Old 01-07-2009, 03:19 PM
1990 F-150er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Transmission 1990

I have a 1990 XLT Lariet 4x4 with a 4.9 automatic with overdrive. Does someone have detailed instructions on how to remove the transmission to get rebuilt. Is there a good shop manual with directions and maybe some pictures. My tranny went out, but still goes in reverse just no forward gears. Was just driving down the road and quit moving. Anyone with a rebuilt transmission for sale..? Thanks
Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 PM

I use haynes manuals, seem to work pretty good
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its pretty strait forward if you have some wrenching experiance. mark and take the drive shaft out, tie-wrap a couple rags on the end of the trans, disconnect any wires and lines from the tranny. take the lower cover off the front and remove the torque converter bolts, loosen your tranny bolts, put a jack under it, with a ratchet strap around it. remove the cross member. take your trans bolts the rest of the way out and slide her back and lower it down.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I find it's easier to remove the transfer case from the transmission before taking the transmission down. It has to be done anyways.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 PM

My transmission did exactly what yours has, I'm still shopping round for another.

I removed mine not long ago... it was horrible, but i didn't know what I was doing.
Mark and remove the drive shafts.
Remove the heat shield from beside the transmission pan.
Its probably best to place a support/jack under the transfer case and remove this first, I didn't and the transmission and transfer case together fell over once loose. Remove the coolant fluid lines from the side and block them to prevent leaking.
Remove the torque converter drain plug if you got one and drain it (I didn't have one).
Remove the TC plate and lower engine plate thing.
Spin the flywheel and remove the 4 nuts holding it on.

Heres the different part. Theres numerous ways now, just pick what works best.
The ford mechanics manual says to remove all 6 bolts holding the TC to the engine from beneath with a variety of extenstions.

A lot of people have said remove the cross member and lower the transmission a little to get at the top two bolts.

I found that by lifting the carpet I was able to get to the floor plate for if you have a manual transmission. This was just screwed down and once removed I had access to the top bolts on the bell housing and removed them.

Once the bolts are off, lower the jack and transmission while pushing towards the back of the vehicle carefully and it should just slide out.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 PM

yeah definitly remover the transfer case first, sorry i didn't see that it was a 4x4
Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Just remembered, you also need to remove the starter motor when removing the TC plate. You can leave it plugged in, but dont suspend it on wires, or remove it from the wires and take it aside.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 AM
1990 F-150er

Default Rebuilding Trans

I was wondering how many of you rebuild your own tranny? Is there a specific kits for different problems. I got a quote with removing my tranny myself and its still 800 to 1200. Might just take it out and get the problem diagnosed then go from there. What do you think I could get as a parts truck. Local junk yard will only give me $150.00 for the whole truck because of scrap prices. Its worth more than that. Interior is mint. I will post some more pic when I get it back to the house.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by roboink
I was wondering how many of you rebuild your own tranny? Is there a specific kits for different problems. I got a quote with removing my tranny myself and its still 800 to 1200. Might just take it out and get the problem diagnosed then go from there. What do you think I could get as a parts truck. Local junk yard will only give me $150.00 for the whole truck because of scrap prices. Its worth more than that. Interior is mint. I will post some more pic when I get it back to the house.
Just based on your posts I think an automatic tranny might be a bit over your head
Removal is pretty easy but actually cracking one open is a whole nother ball game
Old 01-09-2009, 07:43 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Pick up a used tranny from the junkyard. They give 30 day warranties usually and if it doesn't break within that, it should be fine. Find the right place and you should be able to get one for $150, but the jerkoff junkyards like to charge up to $500. I can get trannys here for $80 at the u-pull it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Transmission 1990