Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Removing/Replacing antenna.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing/Replacing antenna.

i want to replace the stock antenna with a 53" CB/Radio antenna.
BUT, i cant figure out how to get the old antenna and base off. i really would like to know so if someone could find a document or diagram explaining the removal process that would be great!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM

take pliers and unscrew the mast at the base,then carefully pry the chrome base away from the black base,screws underneath come out and it will lift off,you will have to pull the wire through the truck out of the back of the radio.question is,what will you use for the radio?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:55 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

i have a CB and dual antennas for it, i bought a third antenna to use for my Sony XPLOD radio since my stocker was bent and snapped in half.

so are the screws on the bottom side of the body or ontop under the chrome?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you pop the chrome cover up, the 4 screws are right there.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:14 AM

Default antenna strange mounting 1965

Originally Posted by aliens8mycow
Once you pop the chrome cover up, the 4 screws are right there.
Ive read a lot of posts but my antenna mount is unlike any listed. Once you unscrew the nut and take off the plastic...there are two metal hinged pieces that work by forming a 90 stop..kind of like a screw tied to the end of a srting so it wont pull out. Trouble is..hole in the hood is too big for the bracket (or vice versa) and they bounce out or pull out when tightened. I either need 1. A larger bracket, 2. A smaller hole in fender, or 3. A new antenna with cable. What do y'all think?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That doesn't sound like you have the factory antenna.
Take a couple screwdrivers and a wrench with you to the local auto wreckers and go have a look to see what it's supposed to look like and then maybe you can figure out how to make it work on your truck.
Worst comes to worst, it's not real hard to change that whole windshield cowl piece if you can find one the same color as your truck. you just pull the wipers and about a dozen screws (across the front and straight down through the air slots on top).
Or just taking the thing off might make it easier to get the old antenna off.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:48 AM

Default removing replacing..65 antenna

Originally Posted by Chris_1
That doesn't sound like you have the factory antenna.
Take a couple screwdrivers and a wrench with you to the local auto wreckers and go have a look to see what it's supposed to look like and then maybe you can figure out how to make it work on your truck.
Worst comes to worst, it's not real hard to change that whole windshield cowl piece if you can find one the same color as your truck. you just pull the wipers and about a dozen screws (across the front and straight down through the air slots on top).
Or just taking the thing off might make it easier to get the old antenna off.
Thanks for your quick reply. Ill go have another look. It seems like a inventive bracket..as compared to the other simpler ones.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Country Boy

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by girl
Ive read a lot of posts but my antenna mount is unlike any listed. Once you unscrew the nut and take off the plastic...there are two metal hinged pieces that work by forming a 90 stop..kind of like a screw tied to the end of a srting so it wont pull out. Trouble is..hole in the hood is too big for the bracket (or vice versa) and they bounce out or pull out when tightened. I either need 1. A larger bracket, 2. A smaller hole in fender, or 3. A new antenna with cable. What do y'all think?
That's a piece of crap aftermarket antenna then. I know what you're talking about lol. Those hinged pieces are spring loaded, you fold them up against the antenna and push it down into the fender, when they get past the sheet metal the two pieces pop out to keep it from pulling out.

You should be able to fold them up again and pull the antenna out, then get a factory part instead. If not then I'd just break the piece of junk and pull the cowl to get the pieces out. Careful not to bend the sheet metal.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Default antenna

Originally Posted by dixie460
That's a piece of crap aftermarket antenna then. I know what you're talking about lol. Those hinged pieces are spring loaded, you fold them up against the antenna and push it down into the fender, when they get past the sheet metal the two pieces pop out to keep it from pulling out.

You should be able to fold them up again and pull the antenna out, then get a factory part instead. If not then I'd just break the piece of junk and pull the cowl to get the pieces out. Careful not to bend the sheet metal.
Good idea! Take out my frustrations with it once and for all! Should i leave the cable inside and connect it to new antenna or use the cable to pull new one down thru fender?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Running a new cable can be a pain. If you get a factory antenna it will have the cable on it

Quick Reply: Removing/Replacing antenna.