Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Radius Arm Bushings and Spring tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Radius Arm Bushings and Spring tips?

I realize I haven't been on lately, so I figured I'd update everyone to my trucks condition. It's a 96 F150 2wd, regular cab- long bed, 4.9. I just got a new set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 31s thrown on yesterday. Fantastic tires by the way, I work for Goodyear so I've seen them with up to 60k miles on them. They ride smooth and surprisingly quiet. Anyway, my front suspension condition won't allow for an alignment. The radius arm bushings and coil springs need replaced. So I ordered the cc824 springs and k80007 bushing kits from MOOG. Does anybody have any experience or tips for installation? Also anyone using the 824 springs, how did the alignment look afterward? From my understanding they are a bit heavier duty than the stock, 822, springs.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Mista_Breeze
Does anybody have any experience or tips for installation?
I just installed new 824's in my rig on Sunday. Once the truck was jacked up and the wheels were off, I removed the upper spring clip (1/2"), the lower shock bolt (18mm) and then slipped a regular socket (1 1/8") down the center of the coil with 1/2" drive extensions. Once loose, I stepped downward on the hub and the spring came out. Installation is the same but you probably need someone standing on the hub so you can place the spring. I am not sure on the bushings but with the coils and shocks loose, they should be easier to do.

Also anyone using the 824 springs, how did the alignment look afterward?
My alignment wasn't bad afterwards. I still need to replace some bushings and steering components then I will get the full alignment done.

From my understanding they are a bit heavier duty than the stock, 822, springs.
The 824's are considered heavy duty but still have the same ride characteristics as the stock springs.

Below are some pics of my set up.
The following users liked this post:
Mista_Breeze (10-02-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Thanks! And do you have a before picture of the truck? That sits pretty level! Probably close to an inch right? And since mines a standard cab 4.9 they may bring it up a hair higher.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Thanks! And do you have a before picture of the truck? That sits pretty level! Probably close to an inch right? And since mines a standard cab 4.9 they may bring it up a hair higher.

Here's a before shot. It wasn't bad the way it sat, but the small change really helped how it looked. My plan is to eventually get rid of the 235/75's and put 31x10.5's on.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

It's definitely noticeable though. Thank you. I ordered parts last night. I'm definitely more confident about them now though.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

As for radius arm bushings check to see if the brackets have been changed and are bolted on with grade 8 bolts instead of the original rivets.
If so, easy as pie, just buy new bolts to make life even easier.
If not you can cut/grind/hammer the rivets and then replace them with grade 8 bolts.
Or, since you will have the springs, calipers and shocks undone anyway, there's only the sway bar bolts if you have sway bars and the pivot bolts to undo and you can pull the whole I-beam radius arm assembly out, change the bushings and bolt it back in.
Mista_Breeze (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

That does sound like a logical thing to do, no sense in waiting until the pivot bushings wear out too. Do you happen to know the MOOG part number for the I-Beam Pivot Bushing?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be it MOOG Part # K8672. Two wheel drive. Need 2.
Mista_Breeze (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Originally Posted by Merfman
This should be it MOOG Part # K8672. Two wheel drive. Need 2.
Thanks, I got my springs and radius arm bushings today. I'll probably put them on Sunday or Monday if I have time. The pivot bushings actually look pretty good still.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:53 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If you un hook the spring and shock, and let the axle drop , you should be able to push it far enough to change the radius arm bushing. Then raise the axle up and pull it back enough to put the radius arm nut back on. A ratchet strap to pull it back makes life easier. Then put in the springs and bolt the shocks back on. Remember to use jack stands etc , because a truck on your chest sucks.
Mista_Breeze (10-04-2014)

Quick Reply: Radius Arm Bushings and Spring tips?