Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Pre-1997 F150 > 1987 - 1996 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default R134a Retrofit - PAG 46 or Ester Oil?

Hello,

I will be doing a complete chemical flush of the a/c system on my truck and I bought ester oil to use as part of my retrofit. I'll be replacing the o-rings, accumulator, compressor and orifice as well.

I've done some further reading on this since purchasing the ester oil and I see a few arguments.

One says that Ford says that it's STRONGLY advised to use Pag 46 if a flush has been done and Ester is too heavy to properly circulate since the viscosity is 100.

Another argument says that Ester is truly universal and should be used when retrofitting because flushing will not remove 100% of the residual Mineral oil.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I feel like Ester should be ok, but on the other hand if Ford is saying Pag 46 should be used after flushing, that's something to seriously consider.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to be one and done with my A/C if at all possible.

FYI - My vehicle is a 1990 F150 5.0L.

Thanks!
qdeezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Hi-Rev Motorsports
5 Year Member
 
dr_bowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 50 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I dont flush it or replace the orings....I just vac it and fill it with the new stuff...works fine been doing it for years...only time I replace any orings is if I have to replace a worn part...other then that I wont open the system at all...
__________________
Rule#1...NEVER argue with an Idiot...they only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience...!!!
Chevrolet....the only thing faster than my zipper...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymeski
Not a spankable offense...unless "raider" does it.
dr_bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Springer Spaniels Rule
 
dirtcrew51m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milltown, NJ
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

hey doc, do you use a regular evac thing for the rfeon or a shop vac, not to sound like a smart *****, but I need to do my F150 and ranger and I wont spend the money for r12.
__________________
"Its a Ford. Nuff said. Everything else is just a glorified tonka toy"
"ASE" Certified" Parts Professional

92 F150 302 4x4 Long bed Extended cab
2001 Taurus wagon
dirtcrew51m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Hi-Rev Motorsports
5 Year Member
 
dr_bowtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 50 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

to do it right if there is freon in the system there is a set-up made by Robin-Aire that evacs the system and stores the Freon in a 20# propane tank so it isnt released into the air...

for a dead system I will use the air evac from Harbor Freight...you need an air compressor at least 3hp and the air with evac the system pulling it down to -28 vacuum then I add the new freon via the gauge set...I hook the vac to one side and the freon to the other...pretty nifty set up...

when I have a live system I need drained I take it down to a buddies who has the Robin-Aire evac and I pull all the freon out...the oil stays in the system either way.


thats the proper way to do it
__________________
Rule#1...NEVER argue with an Idiot...they only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience...!!!
Chevrolet....the only thing faster than my zipper...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymeski
Not a spankable offense...unless "raider" does it.
dr_bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tdcarter72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdeezie View Post
Hello,

I will be doing a complete chemical flush of the a/c system on my truck and I bought ester oil to use as part of my retrofit. I'll be replacing the o-rings, accumulator, compressor and orifice as well.

I've done some further reading on this since purchasing the ester oil and I see a few arguments.

One says that Ford says that it's STRONGLY advised to use Pag 46 if a flush has been done and Ester is too heavy to properly circulate since the viscosity is 100.

Another argument says that Ester is truly universal and should be used when retrofitting because flushing will not remove 100% of the residual Mineral oil.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? I feel like Ester should be ok, but on the other hand if Ford is saying Pag 46 should be used after flushing, that's something to seriously consider.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to be one and done with my A/C if at all possible.

FYI - My vehicle is a 1990 F150 5.0L.

Thanks!


I done this last year, after getting some advice from some Ford shop guys, I used the Pag 46. They said to clean the system twice with the chemical flush and blow the system out with a air compressor after each flush. Just remember to save a cap full of the oil to lube the o-rings when installing them. I have not had any problems with my system so far.

Hope this helps!
__________________
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat 4x4
1993 Ford Crown Vic
1999 Ford Ranger XLT
2000 Ford Taurus
2009 Ford Focus
tdcarter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bowtie View Post
I dont flush it or replace the orings....I just vac it and fill it with the new stuff...works fine been doing it for years...only time I replace any orings is if I have to replace a worn part...other then that I wont open the system at all...
In my instance, the A/C has no charge and I pulled the orifice out just to see what was going on with it and it was completely stopped up with all kinds of crud, so it needs to be flushed out.
qdeezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcarter72 View Post
I done this last year, after getting some advice from some Ford shop guys, I used the Pag 46. They said to clean the system twice with the chemical flush and blow the system out with a air compressor after each flush. Just remember to save a cap full of the oil to lube the o-rings when installing them. I have not had any problems with my system so far.

Hope this helps!
Yes, it does. I'm feeling better about Pag 46 from your feedback. I'm going to go ahead and flush every part twice, then blow everything with compressed air and go the Pag 46 route. I still feel that there's a risk factor with Pag 46 because of that .001% of mineral oil seeped up in a corner somewhere, but it's a risk I'll have to take. I just don't want to destroy my compressor with a heavier viscosity oil if at all possible.
qdeezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Springer Spaniels Rule
 
dirtcrew51m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milltown, NJ
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Thanks doc.
__________________
"Its a Ford. Nuff said. Everything else is just a glorified tonka toy"
"ASE" Certified" Parts Professional

92 F150 302 4x4 Long bed Extended cab
2001 Taurus wagon
dirtcrew51m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:07 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R134a to be phased out bajaman Off-Topic 3 10-24-2010 09:38 AM
HID retrofit rick99601 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 2 08-17-2010 05:52 AM
HID retrofit djquik1 2009 - Present Ford F150 31 07-29-2009 09:12 AM
r12 to r134a conversion dirtcrew51m 1987 - 1996 F150 4 07-07-2009 10:01 PM
Air Conditioning Retrofit dougied 1987 - 1996 F150 3 05-05-2008 10:00 AM

Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.