Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Questions What should I do

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Ford Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions What should I do

Hi all,
I recently bought a 1994 Ford F-150, 302EFI,4x4 extended cab. This truck went for a ride in the river. She was running when she went down. After it was brought home the owner had it running for about 30 seconds. The oil was dropped and changed before it was ran. The fuel pump was not working, so he drippled gas down the intake. But when he went out about a week later it would not crank over, he thought maybe the starter was not working but he did not know. My question is, what all should I expect to have to do to this truck to make it go again. All the fluids have been dropped, tranny, transfer case,rear end etc etc. So what do you think??? The other problem is I now live 1500 miles from where the truck is, and I will not be able to pick it up till mid summer 08, anything I should have them do to it before I pick it up??? Thanks Guys
Ryan
Old 12-24-2007, 09:50 PM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

maybe pull the plugs and crank it over to expel any water from the cylinders. change the air filter if it went for a drink too. if it would't turn over that might mean that there is water in the cylinders. water doesn't compress so you end up with bent rods.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Ford Fan

If it was running after it was out of the river, would that not have expelled the water out of the cylinders???
Old 12-24-2007, 10:09 PM
workin for parts!!!

if you drove it home, then yes. maybe the engine never injested any water. might want to check the starter.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Ford Fan

No, it was not drove home, and it was under water for several hours. MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-24-2007, 10:30 PM
workin for parts!!!

any chance there's a wire off the starter or a relay/fuse for the fuel pump out? merry xmas back.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:24 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

By not turn over do you mean it will not start, the starter is not working, or the engine is frozen.

If it is going to sit until next summer is vital!!!!!!!!!!! to have the person who has it now pour diesel fuel into the spark plug holes I would just about fill each cylinder up. Nobody is going to try to start it until you get to it so the diesel will coat the bores and run down into the crankcase. If it did ingest water you must keep the cylinder bores free of rust, you can't take the chance of snapping a piston ring on a rusty bore.

I would consider getting a short block. In my experience an engine which ingested water is never right afterwards without a rebuild. Good Luck

Last edited by transmaster; 12-25-2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Ford Fan

thanks transmaster,
the previous owner did put diesel into the crankcase, ran it for a few seconds, then let it sit for about a week. Then upon trying to start it again, it would not turn over, I don't know if the starter was not working or engine locked up. I will have them fill her up with diesel. Thanks Ryan
Old 12-25-2007, 03:54 PM
that's gonna leave a mark

If it went for a swim and you intend on driving this on a daily basis, especially since it will be sitting for a long period of time, consider that motor an anchor in my opinion. You should see what water does to a running motor. As mentioned above, water will not compress and stuff bends real quick. Motors are easy to come by and not expensive when you consider everything that could be wrong. That's just my opinion. Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-25-2007, 05:09 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wood Cutter
Hi all,
I recently bought a 1994 Ford F-150, 302EFI,4x4 extended cab. This truck went for a ride in the river. She was running when she went down. After it was brought home the owner had it running for about 30 seconds. The oil was dropped and changed before it was ran. The fuel pump was not working, so he drippled gas down the intake. But when he went out about a week later it would not crank over, he thought maybe the starter was not working but he did not know. My question is, what all should I expect to have to do to this truck to make it go again. All the fluids have been dropped, tranny, transfer case,rear end etc etc. So what do you think??? The other problem is I now live 1500 miles from where the truck is, and I will not be able to pick it up till mid summer 08, anything I should have them do to it before I pick it up??? Thanks Guys
Ryan
I would almost put money on the inside of the engine being rusted together. It took a dive and sucked in water. Even considering they changed the oil before they tried to restart it, there was probably still water left inside.

All things being equal, a new/used/rebuilt motor would be better than trying to chase all the things that are/could be wrong with the current one.

Quick Reply: Questions What should I do