Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Question about Headers for a 300 Six Cyl

Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Headers for a 300 Six Cyl

Ok, so I'm not competely ignorant of all things mechanical but I'm trying to figure something out here. I'm wanting to bring my old F150 back to life, I'm pushing 255000 miles so I plan to rebuild it shortly, and the plan is to really go crazy with it. So, I have plenty or ideas on how to get more power out of the motor, one of which is new exhaust. I'm still running the factory exhaust manifold on it. In my search and research I've found a few headers for inline sixes, the problem is I can't find any for a 95 model. The question I have is, does anyone know why a header for a 93 model f150 with a strait six won't work on a 95 f150 with a strait six? And if it does work why is it not advertised that way? Here's a few headers I've found online anyone who can shine a little light on this for me, it would be much appreciated.

http://www.holley.com/6823-1HKR.asp

http://www.holley.com/6823HKR.asp

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/89300/10002/-1

Also, anyone with experience with exhaust and 300s, any advise or suggestions? I would like to get a somewhat throaty sound out of it, but I'm not sure what muffler and exhaust system, if any, can get that out my six.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

From what I've read, which is by no means gospel, and possibly even wrong, is that the factory manifolds flow better than aftermarket headers for the 6's. Does you truck have 1 big 6-1 manifold or 2 3-1 manifolds?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM

I am not 100% sure but it think its th 2- 3to1, cause I wanted to make it dual exhaust when I was younger. But I'm not 100% sure, I'm not close enough to it to check it out for quite a while. You say the factory manifolds supposedly breath better? I have read that before, but I've also read headers will bring life to it. I'm hoping someone will have a little firsthand experience with it and let me know.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Hopefully we'll get some concrete answers in here, I'm curious now about it
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No first hand experience, other than basic, very basic knowledge of the I6 exhaust
1) true duals will make you sound like a ricer
2) stock EFI heads will do you plenty proud with a 2.5-3" exhaust pipe.
3) it's common to bring the exhaust out before the rear tire for a throatier sound, less bends equals more tone
4) you've been fortunate to get the "bastardized" year model as I have too. No idea why, but you'll find many many parts made for models up to 94, and 96 on.

Only viable thing that's struck me about the 95's thus far is the heads seem to be slightly off kilter from other year models. And be prepared if you're overhauling, you'll come home with parts for a 95 that'll have to be exchanged for the 94 parts, at least with the LRH if you're keeping the air pump. Another "parts house beware," that 2" core radiator, is horse sh*t, go with the 1" core lest you plan to run super slim electric fans.
All that being said, is just what I've found from flapping my gums, so it could be a lotta malarki, dunno
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Well I to have been trying to figure out ways to get more power from my 300. I thought of headers, but then i thought how would it affect my o2 sensors. (in the factory manifold). You may only be finding headers up to 94 beacuse they started going electronic just after that...just an idea
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As much as I like the 300 I6 trying to increase it's horse power will be an excise in futility. Oh you can do it but in the end the cost will be such you would have been better off getting a Roush crate engine. The fact the intake and exhaust ports are on the same side make for the possibility of a real sweet compact turbo charging setup. You would have to fabricate the whole thing at great cost. At any rate go here for info on what you want to do. http://www.fordsix.com/
Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bibo1985
No first hand experience, other than basic, very basic knowledge of the I6 exhaust
1) true duals will make you sound like a ricer
2) stock EFI heads will do you plenty proud with a 2.5-3" exhaust pipe.
3) it's common to bring the exhaust out before the rear tire for a throatier sound, less bends equals more tone
4) you've been fortunate to get the "bastardized" year model as I have too. No idea why, but you'll find many many parts made for models up to 94, and 96 on.

Only viable thing that's struck me about the 95's thus far is the heads seem to be slightly off kilter from other year models. And be prepared if you're overhauling, you'll come home with parts for a 95 that'll have to be exchanged for the 94 parts, at least with the LRH if you're keeping the air pump. Another "parts house beware," that 2" core radiator, is horse sh*t, go with the 1" core lest you plan to run super slim electric fans.
All that being said, is just what I've found from flapping my gums, so it could be a lotta malarki, dunno
I've got a true dual, rear exiting 300 here, and rice is the last thing it sounds like. It's a tractor sound it give off when running like a raped ape to redline, but anywhere else in the range it sounds pretty decent
Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 PM

So the general consenses here is that headers are unnecesary for my model truck, and that its the bastard model. Just fantastic, I always manage to buy the off year car or truck, the imposible to find parts for model. Oh well, what kind of muffler you guys running on your 300s to get a good sound?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The fordsix link has some in depth info on how to pull power out of the I6, first visit there left my head spinning.

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
I've got a true dual, rear exiting 300 here, and rice is the last thing it sounds like. It's a tractor sound it give off when running like a raped ape to redline, but anywhere else in the range it sounds pretty decent
Well then I stand corrected, lol. No offense was intended, just relaying what I'd been told. Rear exiting does sound like a good idea, hadn't thought of that as an option. As for now, mine sounds like the ape you mentioned BEING raped with the the exhaust leaks yet to be remedied. Again, my apologies and I may have to try that rear exiting route when/if I ever get to re-work the blow hole

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Headers for a 300 Six Cyl