Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Push to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push to start

so i broke the rod in the steering colum and dont feel like replacing it .tryed to bypass the the starter seloniod but wouldnt work anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had my truck for about a year, but it's been in my family since new. We have been starting it with a pair of vise grips for about 5 years! My dads friend took a piece off the column and we just have to push the rod down and it fires right up.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

You want to wire it across the fender solenoid for easier access but you need the key to be in the running or constant power position. If the rod and the tumbler broke, you can wire a master switch from the battery to the solenoid then a push button to complete the circuit. But you still need the constant power to run the other systems of the truck. This diagram will give u an idea what you need to do.
Attached Thumbnails Push to start-cert-exp-st2-s-installation-wiring_1100.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dannydowns
so i broke the rod in the steering colum and dont feel like replacing it .tryed to bypass the the starter seloniod but wouldnt work anyone have any ideas?
fix it?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix it!!! its not that hard of a job to do, I just rebuilt mine last weekend.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lie on your back in the driver's floorboard and towards the firewall, bolted to the column is an electronic switch. Unbolt that and you'll see a plastic piece that slides back and forth. That's what the rod runs into.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheCollector
fix it?
yea i could but just had shoulder surgery can cant do to much till next month just looking for a quick fix for now
Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM
lost my Car again...

yea i could but just had shoulder surgery can cant do to much till next month just looking for a quick fix for now
just run a wire from one side of the starter solenoid to a switch then back to the other side its basic simple and should work. i can start my truck with a screw driver i just jump the solenoid although if its a stick be very carfull otherwise you will be running after your truck as it plows into your house
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
lost my Car again...

the solenoid method would be the easiest way to do a quick start system for you and i bet you could even do it one handed.
you could do what the diagram shows as well but that means crawling under the truck..
Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by TheCollector
the solenoid method would be the easiest way to do a quick start system for you and i bet you could even do it one handed.
you could do what the diagram shows as well but that means crawling under the truck..
i tried runing a wire from each side of soleniod to a switch but wont work any ideas size or wire and switch should i use. i know the screw driver works cuz thats how i do it now and yes its a sick and my e break cable snaped so thats iffie but once heald have a list of fixes for the truck

Quick Reply: Push to start