Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

------Pumping Gas SLOW PROCESS..----- 96' 302 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ------Pumping Gas SLOW PROCESS..----- 96' 302 4x4

This tank takes forever to put $5 in. The Evap system or purge valve must be bad. I have CEL but its for smog system only, its deleted. Do these trucks have purge valves?

I cant seem to trace down where the relief for the gas tank pressure is binding up.... I poked the charcoal canister inlets under the hood with a probe and it seemed clear.
I looked at all the line from front to back and nothing unordinary.

I was wondering if I can cut that line closer to the tank and route it myself to a safe location(away from hot exhaust etc.)
Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Check out this pic. Yours should be the lower unit. The small inner hose is the fill hose and the larger hose acts as the vent. I bet that either the smaller hose is breaking down and kinked, or the larger hose is breaking down and collapsing around the inner hose. Either of those things will cause it not to vent fast enough when you're filling the tank.

The following 2 users liked this post by Crownman:
adabiri2 (08-30-2016), Snaggletooth (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Crownman
Check out this pic. Yours should be the lower unit. The small inner hose is the fill hose and the larger hose acts as the vent. I bet that either the smaller hose is breaking down and kinked, or the larger hose is breaking down and collapsing around the inner hose. Either of those things will cause it not to vent fast enough when you're filling the tank.
X2
The following users liked this post:
adabiri2 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 01:08 AM

Thanks!

I went to look and see how hard its gonna be to replace and well.... It was parked in my driveway(on a hill in West Virginia) and its leakin gas from the front. I was hoping the gas I been smelling was from the EVAP or whatever has the neck clogged up.

So I guess I'll be dropping the tank anyways, the previous owner has some sh** tapped up near the sending unit etc, I never did like the looks of that(this damn truck has nickeled me to death now.) Im hoping its something easy like they replaced the fuel pump and didn't get the lock ring on or something.

-----------The FILLER NECK--------------------

Is there a way to modify or fix whatever is collapsed inside? An alternative to just buying a new one?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

If I remember from the last time that I took my filler neck off, the tubing and filler neck are a single piece. You might try to find one at a junk yard (I think that a new replacement was ~$150 the last time that I looked). I have a 92 and mine was in pretty good shape (I pulled it to replace the other piece of tubing that goes between the metal part of the filler neck and the tank while replacing the tank/pump/sender).
Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 PM

-----------UPDATE------------

I got it off bc the tank is gonna be dropped due to a leak somewhere on top.

Is it supposed to look like this lol?

Should the inner hose be submerged?

Thanks for the help!!
Attached Thumbnails ------Pumping Gas SLOW PROCESS..-----  96' 302 4x4-dscn0867.jpg  
Old 09-23-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

That inner hose should stick out of the metal pipe just as far as the one does in the pic i posted. The rest of that hose is probably inside the tank unless someone cut it in the past for some reason.

Quick Reply: ------Pumping Gas SLOW PROCESS..----- 96' 302 4x4