Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Pulls to left while braking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulls to left while braking.

For a month now my truck has been pulling to the left while driving and while braking. So I decided to try and fix it this weekend. Well since I had replaced the calipers and the master cylinder last April I decided to start with brake lines. Well it didn't help but I did notice that the drivers side pads looked funny (piston side was almost metal to metal). So I replaced the pads on both sides and changed the driver side caliper. Issue seemed to have gotten better after all of this work but was still there. So I lubed up the bolts and pins for the calipers. Seems to have helped. Issue is very noticeable but still there. With the tires off and having someone else hit the brakes I watched the calipers move and they seem to be working fine.

What else could be causing the issue?

Also I noticed a little bit of play in my passenger side wheel bearings (not a major amount) also the passenger side wheel spins more freely than the driver side (with the calipers off I spun the hubs) which has more resistance. Could this be a cause of it?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Try cracking the bleeders on the calipers to flush them with fresh fluid. Use a line wrench or a socket. I had a problem where it would pull and I would get uneven wear. When I cracked the bleeder no fluid came out. When I finally did get the bleeder out all of the way and hit the brakes, some lovely looking red stuff came out. Fresh fluid and a new bleeder screw fixed the problem.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Bearings should be tight - no play, but not so tight that there is any resistance to turning. Sounds like a bearing service is in your future. The proper way to do it is that the bearings should be cleaned and regreased at every brake change. Doesn't always happen that way, but if you don't know when they were serviced last, it's due. Probably past due.
If the steering components aren't loose, pulling while braking usually indicates a sticking caliper. That can be a problem with the caliper itself (it happens right out of the box) or improper installation - the slide bolts and sleeves as well as the stainless slide pieces for the caliper to ride on have to be spotless, shiny clean and properly lubed or the calipers will stick in the applied position. That's for 94-up brakes; the earlier ones have push-in rubber/metal lockers which also have to be shiny clean and properly lubed.
A faulty flex hose (deteriorating inside) can also cause them to stick.
It's like this; you have the leverage of the brake pedal aided by the brake booster to apply them so there's a lot of pressure to force them on even if there is some resistance. They have to release on their own - no springs or anything to help, so even a little resistance can cause them to stick; the sticking one is going to brake differently than the one on the other side.
A good test is to find a long stretch of road where you won't have to brake. Let your brakes cool right down then drive a few miles without using the brakes. Coast it to a stop somewhere safe and try not to use the brakes at all if you can possibly avoid it.
Now get out and feel your rotors - if a rotor is really hot and you didn't use the brakes, your caliper is sticking.

Last edited by Chris_1; 02-13-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Could be something as simple as a belt shifted in the tire, i finally bought new tires last fall because that's exactly what happened to me, pulled to the left all the time, was annoying, new tires fixed it.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm going with air in the system or a bad caliper. Bleed the brakes. It's free and easy... start with the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way towards it.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Lots of easy to check ideas here: http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/2...lcade-customs/
Old 02-18-2017, 12:13 PM

OK. So I finally got to mess with it this morning and decided to try changing the passenger side caliper out since it has a lifetime warranty and it didn't help. So this makes new brake hoses, calipers and pads. That shifted belt in a tire isn't sounding like a bad idea at this point.

​​​​​
Old 02-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun_4x4
OK. So I finally got to mess with it this morning and decided to try changing the passenger side caliper out since it has a lifetime warranty and it didn't help. So this makes new brake hoses, calipers and pads. That shifted belt in a tire isn't sounding like a bad idea at this point.

​​​​​
Swap the tires right to left. Quick and easy way to eliminate it....
Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM

I rotated them a few weeks ago in a x pattern. Pulled before I did the swap. I swapped the tires in a x to get the roughness out of the front tires.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

Sounds like to me (I'm no expert) your whole front end is worn out . Everything from the shocks to the tie rods and everything in between