Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Problem with a Module ??.....

Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with a Module ??.....

Hey guys, this is on a 89 F-150 4wd, eng is a 4.9....

Problem, as I drove this truck to work it usually is about a 40 minute drive and of the mornings its been cool and the truck runs fine....
But on the way back home as the temp is hotter outside the truck will spit and sputter like its not getting enough fire or gas....

But after it sets awhile it will start and run fine...
And a friend at work checked it one morning coming home from work and he sad it was the Module causing the problem...
So I took the truck to a garage and they checked the module on a machine and said it was breaking down under a load...and I had it replaced and the truck ran fine for a long time...

So now Ive sold the truck to a friend I work with and he said as he drove it home it did the samething as Ive wrote above...
And Im thinking its the module again....

What Id like to know why or whats causing these things to be breaking down like they are ?.....thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What module was it? Need to know that first. Did you install the module or did the shop? Pull codes and tell us what they are. There is a sticky at the top of this forum to tell you how to do it.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the Module that is on the side of the distribitor cap....

When I had the truck and it did this same thing I had a friend to tell me what it was, so I then took it to a shop here in town and had them to take the module off and he tested it on a machine....he said and he did show me it was breaking down under a load...so they put a new one one, but I had them to check it out to make sure it was a good one before they installed it...and the truck ran fine until now....

I know since Ive owned this truck think I had 2 put on it new...I really dont no whats causing these things to go bad...no idea..but Im no mechanic either..
Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

On distributor mounted TFI's, it is always recommended that the PIP sensor (Stator) be replaced at the same time. And visa versa. Some prefer to replace the distributor, rather than disassembling it to get to the PIP sensor.

See Link: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=25

Last edited by ymeski56; 04-11-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with a Module ??.....