Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Problem with dual tanks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with dual tanks.

I bought a '96 F-150 about six months ago. It is in really good shape, and I do like it a lot.

However, I am having a problem with the dual tanks as mounted. See, the PO told me that he just used one tank, and left the other as is. I accepted that, and following his advice, I only used the rear tank for the period I have had it. Then, on a whim, I decided to fill BOTH tanks while at the service station.

I discovered the front tank was FULL, and this was without my being aware of the status. Guess I should have been a little more curious about my ride. Truth is, I like the truck so much that I have been occupied with just driving and enjoying it. So, I have a front tank of gas which I have been riding longer than the period I have owned the truck.

I decided to try to burn up this fuel, and switched to that front tank via the toggle on the dash. The truck will not run on this setting. It runs for a short while, on what I assume is fuel from the rear tank which is residual in the carb, or whatever powers that 4.9 300.

I am undecided as to how to proceed at this point. I am thinking the fuel could just be gone bad, as ethanol fuels do over long periods. Should I just attempt to drain this tank, and re-fuel with fresh gas? How would I go about this?

Further, it could be other problems which I am not aware of on these dual tank Fords. Perhaps the dash switch, perhaps the fuel pump in the front tank. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, the truck runs beautifully, and I will not let this problem dull my interest in my truck. Just a bit disconcerting to puzzle through.

Thanks for any comments and interest.

Bill Clay
Orchard Hill, GA
Old 07-04-2015, 09:42 PM

OK first congrats on the '96! I absolutely love this body style, and will not trade my '94 for a small mint.
My first instinct, is it is your FDM (fuel delivery module) since your truck runs fine on the rear tank, then stalls on the front after switching, I'm lead to believe, bad gas/ bad pump. If you can drain the gas, then add fresh, only put 1/4 to 1/2 tank in. if you still have the problem, you don't want a full tank when you go to drop it.

I don't think it is your switch, since there is change in performance when you activate the switch.
while ethanol can and does go bad, its best to discard it, and start fresh, especially if you are unsure as to the correct age of the fuel.

IF you are one to change the FDM yourself, spend the 7.00 on the metal fuel line disconnect tool. (not the AC/fuel line/ it doesn't fit) you will be glad you did.

you can change the FDM in an afternoon/day drop the tank, disconnect all fuel lines, electrical connectors, remove the old pump drop in a new one. and reinstall.
you might as well replace the fuel filter while you are there. you will also want to ensure to purchase a new lock ring, and gasket ( it doesn't come with the FDM)
I just replaced my front tank and FDM in my 94 I found it pretty easy to do, once i had all the parts here.
good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edward
Old 07-04-2015, 11:32 PM

Pull ecc and open it see if its green caps or smells like rotten fish....I see this is a problem not with my truck but maybe yours
Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I beilieve this is a relatively common problem with the dual tank trucks. When one of the tanks is not used for a long time, the switch that controls which tank the fuel comes from goes bad. The fuel will even migrate into the front tank if you always only used the rear. This could be the reason why you have a full front tank, even though you have never used it.

Great choice on the '96, btw.

Quick Reply: Problem with dual tanks.