Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Problem with cold starts

Old 09-05-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with cold starts

Hi all,
I'm a newbie with a problem! I have a '88 XLT with the 5.0 EFI 133k and I have a real hard time with it starting after it has been sitting and is cold. It will crank and crank 2-4 times before a sputtering start. Once started it runs great. There is also no problem starting when the engine is warm. The TP sensor has been replaced as well as the IAC. Any help would be hugely appreciated
Old 09-05-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Try rolling the ignition key from OFF to ON a couple of times before engaging the starter - let the fuel pump charge the lines a little longer.

Same starting problem here - I know the filter is good, suspect it might be a problem with the low pressure pump / fuel screen in the tank among other things. Just hasn't been enough of an issue to look into further since the multiple key rolls do the job. Figure this'll eventually bite me on a cold winter day.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info...what would you think to be the problem and the long term solution?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Some things I've thought about are:
Fuel pump capacity is down due to age/wear and the preset timer doesn't allow it to fully charge the system.
Injectors are weeping, putting a load into the cylinders that has to be burnt off.
Obstruction in the tank - rust or whatever - that has clogged part of the inlet screen.
Not sure if the low pressure pump in the tank is even working - never really push the truck any more to see if there's a fuel starvation issue.
Fuel rail bypass valve not shutting off completely - allowing the fuel rail to bleed down.

These are all just WAGs with a truly capitalized W. & A. I figure until it gets bad enough, it's going to be a trial and error approach to identifying - just don't have the time nor the inclination since this work-around with the key roll works for me.

Any other members have experience with this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with cold starts