Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Probable Steering Box Failure. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probable Steering Box Failure. Need some help.

Problem Description: A few days ago I drove my truck home. When my brother went to take it out, he heard a *sproing* noise and complained about lots of steering slop. Now the truck has always had some slop but now it's about 70-75 degrees where the steering wheel does nothing. A few months ago the shop adjusted the steering box in order to tighten up the steering.

Truck Info and History: It is a 1996 f150 that we bought used from a dealership with 50,000 miles and now it has 75,000. It has a straight 6 and a 5 speed manual. The dealers had no information on the previous owners so we don't know much about the truck's past life. We know that it has a towing package (from the power steering cooler) and it does have a shock absorber mounted horizontally on the steering (no idea why but it looks like an accessory). It also has horizontal shock absorbers in the rear that seem to be an anti-chatter system. We think the truck was in truck pulls but we aren't sure. We have mounted a plow on it and it is my daily/plow truck. We have replaced the starter, alternator, suspension bushings, and last week I added an aftermarket power steering cooler and bypassed the original. (All the work done by me except the suspension bushings). Oh yeh and the steering wheel has never been on straight which really bothers me.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

The steering system is fairly easy. Steering wheel --> steering linkage to the gearbox --> geearbox to pitman arm --> pitman arm to tie rods --> tie rods to wheels spindles. Just break it down into sections to locate the faulty part.

This will be easier with the front wheels off the ground.

1. Open the hood and watch the steering linkages while someone turns the steering wheel. If the movement matches then go to step 2. if it doesn't you have a problem in your steering column.

2. Crawl underneath and watch the pitman arm while someone turns the steering wheel. The pitman arm is the one that connects your steering gearbox to the tie rods. If the arm moves in tandem with their movement go to step 3. If not then your gearbox is shot.

There is an adjustment point on these gearboxes that looks like the end of a bolt with a slot in it. It is used to "tighten up" the steering. It has a limit and will not save a worn out steering gear that needs replacement. I suspect that this is what happened to yours. There are rebuild kits, but it's much easier to simply swap the unit, especially if this is your daily driver and you can't afford the downtime.

3. If all is good up to now then your tie rods need checking. They should be firmly attached at all points and the rubber boots should not be leaking or cracked or missing or whatever. There should be a cotter pin in each nut. If this is all good then go to step 4.

4. Grab each front wheel (they're off the ground, right) and try to move them. You should get similar movement of the steering wheel. If you find them loose you may need ball joints or worse. Time to get someone who knows what's up to look at it.

Oh, and the steering wheel can be adjusted back to center, but that involves disconnecting the air bag and pulling the steering wheel off to reposition it. I'll leave that discussion for someone else.

Quick Reply: Probable Steering Box Failure. Need some help.