Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

power steering pump or serpentine

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump or serpentine

Hello all,

I have an '87 F150 4.9l and it's a champ. I have, however, been having some issues with the power steering for about a month (kicking out occasionally and ALWAYS whining). Finally, on Thursday as I pulled into my driveway, the serpentine belt snapped. I replaced it today. When I started it, it started smoking and squealing. The only pulley that was warm was the one by the power steering pump (also, it doesn't spin freely as the others do...should it??) So, I'm wondering if I'm missing something (I re-did the serpentine belt, and the same thing happened) or if I need to start thinking about replacing the p/s pump.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks for your help.
Chuck
Old 10-11-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site! Always like to see the owners of the older model years coming on board!

Don't think you did anything wrong with the belt replacement. The pump should turn over relatively easy by hand, IIRC - it's been a few years and beers ago. The prior erratic performance would lead me to suspect the pump, although I suppose something in the gearbox could be dead-heading the pump. I am assuming that you have verified proper fluid level, and that the fluid is clear and clean. You will need a special puller to remove and install the pulley, should you decide to replace the pump.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Those belts can break, but they also will walk off the pulley system, whine, chirp, ect... an hasten bearing failures if pulleys somehow deviate in alignment with the other pulleys & the P/S seams to be weakest runt of the litter and slightly under engineered for its intended purpose. also common is under repress the pulley or failing to continue repressing it down the shaft before arriving at the correct point of alignment w/ other pulleys
Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Most likely your pump is dead. But the good news is that it is a relatively cheap and easy fix.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Pump has taken a dive! With the oil lines removed, can the pump shaft be rotated? WDE has a valid point, could be in the steering unit. If the pump won't rotate, just replace it.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM

Thanks for all of the good advice. I'm a relative novice when it comes to auto/truck maintenance, but I'm going to give the pump replacement a shot. Any words of wisdom before I jump headlong into these uncharted waters?
Chuck
Old 10-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As was posted earlier by someone else, a puller and installer is necessary for the pulley removal and installation. Take a close look at the depth of engagement of the pulley. Should be full engagement flush with end of shaft. No special priming is necessary after installation. Just fill reservoir before start up of engine. Good luck. One last note, if the pressure oil line cannot be loosened, the large fitting will unscrew from the pump and no damage will be done to the line, it swivels.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 PM
smokey the beer

Get really drunk first and if you are not bleeding by the end, you did something wrong!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 AM

Again, thanks for the help.

Oh, and SoCal...I'm from Wisconsin the drinking part is assumed
Old 10-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Don't be frustrated if the pulley is hard to put back on even with the tool. Again, thats where SoCal's advise comes in handy.

Quick Reply: power steering pump or serpentine