Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Power steering pump!!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Power steering pump!!

What up! '89 F150 5 speed, 8 cyl, 302, and all. I recently replaced all that had to do with the clutch. Formed a foam fixture for the hole in the floorboard. Sounds pretty good, but I have a whine which I think may be due to my power sttering pump. I still have power steering, but I know that it used to leak pretty bad and I would have to fill it up every week. I replaced an o-ring in the pressure line to the gear and it stopped slightly, I think. At least I don't see any puddles. The fluid is still in the reservoir, but then again I haven't been driving it for a few months either. It isn't the usual whine sound when the steering wheel is turning but an increased whine when accelerating. Would the whine be normal driving or is there something relavent here?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My steering pump started whining and a number of people told me I should replace it cause thats where the whining originated. It was an easy job and for a cost of like $25 for a new steering pump (without the reservoir) i feel it was worth changing out a 16 year old pump for a new one. I never had problems from it again.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:49 PM
backyard basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine leaked like a son of a bitch when i got it and it didnt even work, after a few weeks i got tired of no power steering so i put the lucas power steering stop leak in it and it stopped it almost completely, like the a spot the size of a quarter leaked out overnight for like a week and now it leaks a few drips over night, which is really good considering it all used to leak out over night, it still whines a lot though, im assumeing the pump was damaged a bit from not having fluids for who knows how long before i bought it, and sometimes i have to gas the engine for the pump to start working again when pushing the clutch to take it out of gear to go around corners
Old 12-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by medeski
mine leaked like a son of a bitch when i got it and it didnt even work, after a few weeks i got tired of no power steering so i put the lucas power steering stop leak in it and it stopped it almost completely, like the a spot the size of a quarter leaked out overnight for like a week and now it leaks a few drips over night, which is really good considering it all used to leak out over night, it still whines a lot though, im assumeing the pump was damaged a bit from not having fluids for who knows how long before i bought it, and sometimes i have to gas the engine for the pump to start working again when pushing the clutch to take it out of gear to go around corners
That was pretty much the story with mine. It ran for so long with little to no fluid the pump was fried. Like i said, for the cost and effort ya may as well get another, i think autozone had a core charge so i even got money back for my old pump
Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 PM

You mentioned a pump without the reservoir, so you use the old reservoir? That would be alright. What about the pressure line, should it be replaced with the pump? Finally, the manual show it as an easy fix, but how much additional stuff needs to come off? Sorry, now finally what about the pully, will I need to get a puller of sorts to remove it?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 PM

Your in TX, so I'm assuming theres an autozone around. Use their loan-a-tool service to get a pulley puller (or something similarly named). Thats the only specialized tool, other than that its just ratchet and wrenches and a lubricant for puttingthe reservoir back on. I didn't replace the pressure line as it was in good condition.

When you do it, the drive belt will come off and the pulley wheel on front of the pump and thats it other than the reservoir, pump and connectors. Its also a good oppurtunity to replace the drive belt, but take note of how it goes round the wheels, the diagram sticker had been worn out on my truck so we took a photo before hand
Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

You will need a special puller to remove and reinstall the pulley. Would think that the parts stores like AutoZone would have this as a loaner tool.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by str8dogg
You mentioned a pump without the reservoir, so you use the old reservoir? That would be alright. What about the pressure line, should it be replaced with the pump? Finally, the manual show it as an easy fix, but how much additional stuff needs to come off? Sorry, now finally what about the pully, will I need to get a puller of sorts to remove it?
Any parts store should have or be able to get the puller, at my local parts store the puller is $35.00. After you remove the pulley there is 3 bolts that hold the pump in, the pump has to come out before you can remove the brackets so you should not need to remove a lot of things. Check the price of a new pressure line, they should not be to expensive, also it might be a good idea to run some transtune through the system prior to removing the old pump to clean out the steering gear and lines.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 PM

Also, does anyone have the drawing from the manual that shows the removal and replacement of the power steering pump of the 89 EFI? I know it shouldn't be hard to do but I feel better if I can see the picture. I can't print the picture from the Autozone website.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 PM

The pump i got came with a sheet with written directions and pictures

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering pump!!