Possible bad MAF sensor - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Possible bad MAF sensor

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Springer Spaniels Rule
Thread Starter
 
dirtcrew51m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milltown, NJ
Posts: 3,446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default Possible bad MAF sensor

Truck was fine, sunday it started to stumble, it cleared up, yesterday went to work, coming home did it again, same today, but its doing it more often, it chokes up, blows black smoke, rotten eggs, it will clear up and do it again, I go by the airbox and start shaking it and tapping on it and the maf sensor and the motor changes, I unplug the maf the motors idles up and then lays down again, plug it in same thing, my neighbor who is a mechanic says symptoms of a maf sensor, I played with the harness figuring it is a loose wire but no matter what it still does it. And the only codes I pull KOER are 13 and 77, basically means the rpm out of range and no codes read, KOEO no codes, but when engine lays down cel comes on.

Last edited by dirtcrew51m; 03-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.
dirtcrew51m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 33,661
Thanked 895 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m View Post
Truck was fine, sunday it started to stumble, it cleared up, yesterday went to work, coming home did it again, same today, but its doing it more often, it chokes up, blows black smoke, rotten eggs, it will clear up and do it again, I go by the airbox and start shaking it and tapping on it and the maf sensor and the motor changes, I unplug the maf the motors idles up and then lays down again, plug it in same thing, my neighbor who is a mechanic says symptoms of a maf sensor, I played with the harness figuring it is a loose wire but no matter what it still does it. And the only codes I pull KOER are 13 and 77, basically means the rpm out of range and no codes read, KOEO no codes, but when engine lays down cel comes on.
#77 = Operator error during WOT test.

Get a can of "Electronic" contact cleaner or MAF cleaner. Disconnect & remove the MAF sensor. Douche the crap out of the sensor element. Don't touch elements w/ anything, especially your fingers.

Remove & clean your IAC too!

Last edited by ymeski56; 03-29-2011 at 11:46 PM.
ymeski56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Springer Spaniels Rule
Thread Starter
 
dirtcrew51m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milltown, NJ
Posts: 3,446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I cleaned the maf and same thing happens.
dirtcrew51m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
We'd do it
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Just call me Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando,Fl.
Posts: 32,620
Thanked 421 Times in 377 Posts
Default

I am confused. The '92 in your sig doesn't have MAF and a MAF truck will have 3 digit codes.
Just call me Sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 33,661
Thanked 895 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I am confused. The '92 in your sig doesn't have MAF and a MAF truck will have 3 digit codes.
I shall now be confused too! (good catch!)

Sure you don't mean "you unplugged the IAC"?

Last edited by ymeski56; 03-30-2011 at 09:23 AM.
ymeski56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Springer Spaniels Rule
Thread Starter
 
dirtcrew51m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milltown, NJ
Posts: 3,446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

This is for my "other" Ford truck. I actually had the cel light stay on and got 5 codes, 3 for maf voltages wrong, one for neutral switch or something and one for tps, so I figure its a bad maf.
dirtcrew51m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 33,661
Thanked 895 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m View Post
This is for my "other" Ford truck. I actually had the cel light stay on and got 5 codes, 3 for maf voltages wrong, one for neutral switch or something and one for tps, so I figure its a bad maf.
Go ahead & replace it w/o trying the cleaning first. It's your money.
ymeski56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Springer Spaniels Rule
Thread Starter
 
dirtcrew51m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milltown, NJ
Posts: 3,446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m View Post
I cleaned the maf and same thing happens.
I took off the air box, sprayed it down good with maf cleaner, let it set to dry, ran truck, gave it a couple of squirts, still same thing, trust me I "dont" want to spend money but some times we have to. My neighbor is a mechanic and he also is pointing to a bad maf sensor.
dirtcrew51m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Administrator
5 Year Member
 
ymeski56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Beach Calimexifornia
Posts: 33,661
Thanked 895 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m View Post
I took off the air box, sprayed it down good with maf cleaner, let it set to dry, ran truck, gave it a couple of squirts, still same thing, trust me I "dont" want to spend money but some times we have to. My neighbor is a mechanic and he also is pointing to a bad maf sensor.
If you cleaned the MAF element's & still get out of range/ fault, then it's a "go" for replacement.
ymeski56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Springer Spaniels Rule
Thread Starter
 
dirtcrew51m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Milltown, NJ
Posts: 3,446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Its just one of these things I cant fix. Believe me I tried to do everything not to have to replace it and everything leads to it but there is a time when we must suck it up and actually buy something.
dirtcrew51m is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough Idle/Misfiring - HELP! (2006 F150 5.4L v8) carp104 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 39 08-09-2016 07:32 PM
2010 5.4L 3V Rough Idle - Help Ottawavalleylad 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 11 06-23-2016 02:43 PM
Wild Timing Advance and Retard? 2003 5.4L 2V BroncoBundy 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 12 09-14-2015 02:57 PM
My 5.4 problem mikeyb_23 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 5 09-14-2015 10:58 AM
Outdoor Temp Display on Platinum waterboyjlw 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 5 09-04-2015 01:27 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com