Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Please Help!! Leaking Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!! Leaking Tranny

I own a 1994 F150 4x4 with the 5.8L high output engine and AOD transmission. I absolutely love this truck. It has over 220,000 miles without a single major repair. However, about a week ago I noticed the transmission starting to slip a little. Nothing major and not surprising for its age and mileage. A friend told me I could probably fix the slipping by changing the transmission oil and putting in some good stuff like B&M Trick Shift or the like.

So this weekend that's what I decided to do. I removed what I thought was the drain plug (a small bolt on the side of the transmission with a small head with hardly any lip to it) and it did drain the transmission oil. However, after putting in the new oil and starting it up, tranny oil started spraying everywhere under the vehicle. I shut it down and took a look. Apparently I must have overtightened this bolt because the leak is coming from a small hair-line crack where the bolt goes. It only leaks when the engine is running and the leak is under pressure (squirting not just "dripping").

I have called around to some repair shops but of course they really won't tell me anything over the phone without bringing it in. I've tried researching this on the Internet with little luck expect to discover that I probably wasn't taking out a drain plug since the bolt I removed was not on the pan but rather the side of the transmission. I am scared to death I just ruined my truck. Can anybody tell me what I just did to my truck or if there is anyway to fix this without replacing the whole tranny? (the cost of which would exceed the total value of the truck) Could a person possibly repair this small crack with some kind of liquid gasket or JB weld?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. There are some good mechanics in here, i think they will provide much more help than i will. I think that fixing that small crack will not be that easy, but it is possible even though oil pressure and temperature expanding. I guess that a picture of a gearbox with and without that bolt could provide more info about what you're dealing with, so we could be more helpful.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It sounds like you removed the plug from the port that is used to take pressure readings, which is why it only leaks when running. It has a lot of pressure. If you clean the casting really good, like with a wire wheel making it really shiny, then the JB Weld might work. Otherwise find someone with a welder to weld it up. It will have to be a welder for aluminum because that's what the transmission is.

Make sure it actually is a crack and isn't just seeping from around the plug.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM
FORD=#1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1995 and it looks like you removed the the pressure reading plug. Your transmission plug is on the bottom of the transmission and is covered by a rubber plug you should be able to take off with a small flathead screwdriver to get to the tranny plug. It won't be easy to repair that crack and I wouldnt reccomend JB weld it always cracks on me and chips off but its worth a try. But personally I dont see how removing that plug would crack the pan. My opinion is that it was cracked before and that may have been the cause of your leak to start with.

Quick Reply: Please Help!! Leaking Tranny