Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Piecing together a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Piecing together a lift?

Over the past few years I've accumulated parts and I have the moog springs on the front of my truck that i installed not too long ago... I also have some taller skyjacker coils and 2" spacers that go with them and I have lift blocks from a 4x4 and an add a leaf.... I know I need drop brackets from the front and maybe extended brake lines but is it possible to put this all together and not be far from a functional lift or am I just wasting my time? I honestly was going through some old parts in the garage and came across this stuff so I figured I'd ask... Thanks fellas
Old 11-22-2014, 04:16 PM

Guess I'll figure it out
Old 11-22-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Going that high you're gonna want a drop pitman arm, you'll need radius arm drop brackets and pivot bushing drop brackets. Gotta keep all the steering components in the same place relative to the ground, but other than that you should be fine.
I think I'd put everything in with just the skyjackers and see how everything looks before deciding whether to put the 2" spacers as well.
Taller looks good, but if you can't still steer it properly you won't be happy.
The following users liked this post:
Tmadd1018 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Going that high you're gonna want a drop pitman arm, you'll need radius arm drop brackets and pivot bushing drop brackets. Gotta keep all the steering components in the same place relative to the ground, but other than that you should be fine. I think I'd put everything in with just the skyjackers and see how everything looks before deciding whether to put the 2" spacers as well. Taller looks good, but if you can't still steer it properly you won't be happy.
Yeah I figured as much, thank you sir.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Just remember that as you push the frame up (relative to the wheels, which stayed on the ground, you have to bring those attachment points down so that everything stays where it is in relation to the wheels.
You can compensate a little with alignment adjustments, but not very much. And there's a whole steering geometry thing going on there that you don't want to mess with too much.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Just remember that as you push the frame up (relative to the wheels, which stayed on the ground, you have to bring those attachment points down so that everything stays where it is in relation to the wheels. You can compensate a little with alignment adjustments, but not very much. And there's a whole steering geometry thing going on there that you don't want to mess with too much.
Yeah I found out the camber doesn't adjust a whole lot the hard way, put those two inch spacers with some 3 inch lift coils and it was sitting nice but it couldn't be aligned correctly in reference to the caster camber lol I was like EFF me lol i had just put me on so I won't do that again.... I think I'm just going to buy a rough country lift... 6" is about $500 right now... If it comes with everything I need... I've learned the hard way that the cheap route with lifts isn't always feasible lol
Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Nick

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind:
sway bar drop or removed?
alignment
driveshaft angles
accelerated wear (U joints, tie rod ends, etc.)
steering damper

I just finished putting a 10 inch on mine (2" body 8" suspension). You'll have to work the kinks and retorque everything after 100 miles. Your best bet is the RC lift you said, comes with everything you need and you wont have to worry about the front or rear heights being different.
The following users liked this post:
Tmadd1018 (12-10-2014)

Quick Reply: Piecing together a lift?