Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Pickup with the hiccups

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pickup with the hiccups

'96 f150 XLT, 302CID, automatic with overdrive,, cruise control, 118K miles. I bought it in early February. Ran fine with about 13.25 MPG, plenty of pickup and nice all-round.

Then it started "hiccuping." It would mis-fire at an idle, as well as at highway speeds. Shop replaced plugs, distributer cap and rotor. He said that two plug lines were mis-routed, which might have caused cross-firing.

Beast ran fine for a couple of weeks, but the hiccups are back.

Suggestions?

Pops
Old 05-06-2007, 06:45 PM

might be the coil
Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 PM

could be something that has to do with the fuel, it may be a little pricey, but try putting some premium gas in it, on an older car i had, it would jitter and hiccup if there was regular gas in it.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:14 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The 90's models had a problem with the wire routing. There was a TSB on the EXACT way to route the wires off of the distributor. Look into that. I am not talking about crossed wires on the wrong plugs I am talking the actual routing of the wires.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:57 PM

I talked to my mechanic yesterday. We are going to try using the Lucas top oil and premium gas until the end of the week, to see if there is a difference. He is a bit puzzled, but has looked at this problem only once, so doesn't have enough information yet to make a good diagnosis. Neither of us thinks it is fuel related, but it is an easy way to test it while he is building a hole in his schedule to fit me in.

I stopped at the service station on my way into town yesterday and dropped a half tank of premium into it. Pulling out, it stuttered and stammered in the lot. Goosing it did not make a lot of difference. Then, in the afternoon, it took me home from work running with just a little hiccuping.

Pops
Old 05-12-2007, 12:59 AM

Try to "clean" the Mass Air Flow Sensor!!! They tend to get dirty and will cause issues with they way the truck runs. It is actually good idea for anyone with a truck over 5 years old to clean the MAF...could pick up as much as 3 MPG just from a little preventative maintanence!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 10:32 AM

Do you have a CEL(check engine lamp)on?Any codes?The 96's were OBD2 and have misfire monitors.You can run a power balance test and I think you can do a injector flow test with the right test equipment.I haven't tested one in quite a while,but I think you can also perform a relative compression test to ensure you have no base engine concerns.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:14 PM

I walked into dispatch Friday am and immediately got asked to take a trip, as the driver scheduled for it had just called in sick. So....I ended up taking 65 3rd graders to the bowling alley and park , instead of getting the p/u over to John for further investigation.

Actually, we haven't run enough top oil and premium to make a significant difference, but I don't think it is going to make a change. I like the idea of cleaning the MAF. John mentioned the misfire monitor when I was talking to him last. I have a check-engine light only occasionaly, but it has been on twice in the past week.

I'll keep youposted.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Pops
Old 05-14-2007, 12:34 AM

Just blow air across the "screen surface" of the unit, then hit it with a light brake cleaner...or any cleaner that will evaporate quickly. Lightly clean it 2-3 times, let it dry thoroughly, and reinstall!!! I had a stumble at idle...mild but and obvious shudder...20 minutes and a little brake cleaner and it runs as well as a brand new truck...and I picked up 2.4 mpg on next 2 tanks of gas!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

go to napa, and pick up a can of mass air flow cleaner.

Quick Reply: Pickup with the hiccups