Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Performance Mods??? 96 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Mods??? 96 5.0L

Hi, I have a 1996 F-150 XLT with a 5.0L. I just put on flowmaster exhaust 40 series, K&N CAI and did a seafoam treatment. What else can i do to my engine to boost performance without breaking the bank since i am a college student and dont have a lot of money and stuff that doesnt hurt the life of the engine aswell. possibly little things like fuel filter maybe?

what about this? http://www.gfchips.com/fordf150.aspx

it says 100% money back guarentee so i was thinking why not?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Ahahahahahaha!!!

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

how much are you looking to spend?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Ahahahahahaha!!!

this is something i want when i get the money http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc
Old 12-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by buddhaman
this is something i want when i get the money http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc
ummm, why? such a waste of money.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Ahahahahahaha!!!

why would it be a waste of money? not trying to start crap just curious.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by buddhaman
why would it be a waste of money? not trying to start crap just curious.
i just dont see the benefit of a electric water pump on a stock vehicle like yours, i think they only belong on race cars.

Its just my opinion, if you want to do it, go ahead, but i doubt you will see much of a HP or MPG gain.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:04 AM

An electric water pump is a good thing, but you need to do an E-Fan as well. I plan on doing an E-Fan, E-Water pump, and smog pump removal this summer. Im hoping to free up 10 HP or so if Im lucky, and 1-2 mpg.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by new jersey
An electric water pump is a good thing, but you need to do an E-Fan as well. I plan on doing an E-Fan, E-Water pump, and smog pump removal this summer. Im hoping to free up 10 HP or so if Im lucky, and 1-2 mpg.
better upgrade the alt. while your in there, or else your not going to see any gain.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by new jersey
you would be VERY lucky to see 10HP with just a e-Fan and E-Water pump, 5HP would be more realistic.

i could see you getting 1 MPG gain with a e-Fan only though.

plus the whole e-water pump doesn't make sense, you are not taking away any drag on the belt setup, because the alt. has to work harder to run the pump that is running ALL OF THE TIME! (not to mention how are you going to run the belt?

that is the key with freeing up horsepower with the e-Fan, the fan doesn't have to be running at all times, just when the engine needs it, which at that point it turns on and adds more stress to the alt.

and between the fan and pump, the throw in a stereo if you have one and extra lights maybe, i dont think a stock alt. would hold up, and now that you have upgraded the alt, it takes more HP to turn it, thus just cancelling out the effect the pump had in the first place.

anyways, this is just my humble opinion, but i wouldn't waste my money on a e-Pump, would rather invest it into something like headers.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by tylerwilliams
Hi, I have a 1996 F-150 XLT with a 5.0L. I just put on flowmaster exhaust 40 series, K&N CAI and did a seafoam treatment. What else can i do to my engine to boost performance without breaking the bank since i am a college student and dont have a lot of money and stuff that doesnt hurt the life of the engine aswell. possibly little things like fuel filter maybe?

what about this? http://www.gfchips.com/fordf150.aspx

it says 100% money back guarentee so i was thinking why not?
honestly, the best place to start is with a good tune up, change all your fluids, new filters all around, change wires/plugs, cap/rotor, eFan upgrade is cheap and a great idea for MPG and HP, save up for some headers they will help with MPG and torque.

I would stay away for the chip.

Quick Reply: Performance Mods??? 96 5.0L